Garfield Abrams turret (from Esci 1/35th kit)

I'm a Garfield fan and I want to build a collection of subjects with Garfield noseart. I started with the Hercules (see here) and then after that I stumbled (by chance) on the Esci 35th Abrams kit (with Garfield decals) that was in my stash while looking for something else.

Problems began when I started looking for info. Garfield's Abrams is an M1 IP (the version before M1A1) and there's also a kind of hybrid M1 IP with parts of an M1A1added so this complicated matters.

I posted a request on Coldwar Armour for info about the Garfield Abrams (see here). Nothing much came back, which isn't surprising as it's a bit of a niche question.

Anyway, while researching I discovered that the Garfield decals are wrong in a lot of ways (see my post in Coldwar) so in the end I just decided to build it. And as my plan is just to show show the noseart, I only built the turret and mounted it on a black circular base (I ended up using a slice of Airfix's Space Shuttle main tank!)

5mCQ0ofL_o.jpg

spkDYIDH_o.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Armorrich said:

Very cool!!! I like your method of just depicting/displaying particular turrets. Very well done.

It was done out of neccessity but I've got to admit, I'm kinda taken with it too.

It would be cool to have a selection of turrets showing evolutions. eg sherman turrets from the early 75mm all the way through to the M51.

Mind you, it'd be hellish expensive wasting the rest of the kits, although I'd have the benefit of avoiding the running gear/tracks. :)