Dassault Mirage IIIE - 1/48 Kinetic “Finished”

Thanks @Dstream, @Klaasdebouwer, @SarmaT. Am relatively pleased at this stage.. Wish I had used a different shade for the 3 small panels on top of either side of the inlets as they stand out a little stark. Other than that I always liked this NMF scheme.

Thanks for your comments,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 1

Hi,

Sort of finished the Mirage.

Encountered some problems during the last 2 days which prohibited me from finishing the model to my complete satisfaction. Unfortunately upon removing the Eduard masking from the windshield there appeared to be a blemish. Managed to remove most with Tamiya polishing compound after an hour carefully polishing with a cotton swab (The compound also ended up underneath the windshield, which was a pain to clean up).

Then also discovered a tiny crack, which probably occurred after trying to slightly bend the windshield outer edges together, which must have caused too much stress in the transparent part.

Positioning the main gear is very difficult. There is still too much play possible and I couldn’t get the position right. Attached the Reskit wheels, but also here a misalignment on my part made it just not look right. Also, where the kit wheels are too narrow, the Reskit wheels just look too thick.

I may revisit the issues at a later stage, but at the moment I need to start something else.  Am all Miraged out.
Not an easy build trying to eliminate all the gaps between fuselage and wings. Am reasonably pleased with the paint scheme, but not quite happy with the end result. Hence holding off with a post in the Ready for Inspection section:

KTqhSk4.jpeg

5In3mrG.jpeg

hkOeYfv.jpeg

E14xzSS.jpeg

The wheel miss alignment is clearly visible and is so bad it needs to be addressed again. The Reskit wheels look too thick to my eye.

mjQ6N9P.jpeg

26sPERO.jpeg

to3yorA.jpeg

d0KelAU.jpeg

NqEb3v8.jpeg

aECMfPB.jpeg

I lost the transparent port and starboard wing nav lights, so I cut some from a curved Marauder vac form canopy.

That’s all, thanks for watching and the “likes”, feedback and comments along the way.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Rob K. changed the title to Dassault Mirage IIIE - 1/48 Kinetic “Finished”

Sorry to hear about all the problems that you have encountered. Ok, the wheels might appear a bit misaligned, but I understand you are are going to to something about that. Beside the issue of the wheels, from what I can see, it looks as a gorgeous Mirage and its finish looks really great.

It was nice following all your steps, sooner or later I also need a Mirage.

Best Regards,

Dan

14 hours ago, Don said:

Looks very nice Rob.   Every bit a Mirage.

Hi Don, thank you for your kind words

9 hours ago, Dstream said:

Sorry to hear about all the problems that you have encountered. Ok, the wheels might appear a bit misaligned, but I understand you are are going to to something about that. Beside the issue of the wheels, from what I can see, it looks as a gorgeous Mirage and its finish looks really great.

It was nice following all your steps, sooner or later I also need a Mirage.

Best Regards,

Dan

Thank you Dan. Glad you enjoyed the build. Hopefully you will have some use of this WIP thread to prepare you for the more challenging aspects of the Kinetic kit should you opt for this manufacturer. If I ever build one again it will be “wheels up”…..