Bell X-2 landing gear - now with a solution

John R

I have just acquired the AZ kit for a 1/72 Bell X-2. The underwing skids do not look much like anything I see in what photographs I found of it after its initial problems have been resolved. I think that it will be possible to make something resembling what I did see but are there doors that cover the skid when retracted or does the skid have a flattened section so that it lies flush with the skin when retracted.

The only decent photo showing the skids is here

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/bell-x-2-starburster-was-one-dangerous-plane—-its-pilots-191845

John

See if the attached video helps you; it looks like the skids are not flush with the surrounding surface, but  protrude sllghtly proud of the surface.

https://youtu.be/S9JlWWRbUkA

Osprey Publishing did a monograph on the X-2 in their X-Planes series- it was number 6. There might well be some good detail photos in it of the skids. IIRC, Aerofax also did a monograph on the X-2, but it;s long ago OOP. Perhaps one of the resident BM'ers has one or both publications and could be of more assistance- best I could do, sorry!

Mike

Yes, I had already found that but from what I could make out from the underside views of it being launched they were flush with the surface when retracted. There is one brief tantalising shot of it head-on on the ground with the skids deployed which appears to indicate that the skids were flat so they acted as springs but almost everything else is solid black which defied my best Photoshop attempts to lighten. The side view in my first picture appears to confirm my opinion as they look very thin when viewed from the side.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been told that the skids were only fitted for the gliding flights when they were trying to get the method of landing on the centre fuselage skid and nosewheel to work. They were not retractable. Once a satisfactory solution had been found, reducing the height of the centre skid to lower the centre of gravity, they were no longer used.

John

• John R changed the title to Bell X-2 landing gear - now with a solution