What propellers to use for the USS Helena (CL-50)?

Max89

I'm modelling the USS Helena (CL-50) as she would've appeared during her final days before sinking, but I'm unsure of what propellers to use here.

I understand that when the ship was originally launched, she had 3-bladed props, but I also know that the ship was rebuilt/upgraded/modernized later.

Did the ship always have 3-bladed props until the end?

Gidday @Max89, I've found a photo of USS Helena CL-50 that confirms she had three-bladed outward-turning screws at launch. The references I've found seem to indicate that her repairs and refits were more for upgrading her AA weapons, fire control and radar, but no mention of her power plant and propulsion.

I've also found photos of a USS Helena memorial that includes a ship's bell, anchor and a four-bladed screw but I think they're from the heavy cruiser of the same name, USS Helena CA-75. I've heard of ships having boiler changes, engines upgraded but I've never heard of screws being changed. That doesn't mean it's never happened of course. My guess (and I stress the word "guess") is that she retained her three-bladed screws for her entire life. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks for the info, @ArnoldAmbrose.

Yes, I too think that the propeller (along with the anchor and ship bell) at the USS Helena memorial in Montana are all from CA-75, although I can't find any reputable sources to confirm that. One thing to note though is that the memorial was erected several years before CL-50's wreck was discovered in 2018.

It's a pity that the footage from RV Petrel's dive to CL-50 is hidden away. Paul Allen's team only shared a 30 second clip on YouTube where there's a shot of an outboard propeller half buried under the sea floor. There's probably a ton of useful info in that footage.

Edited by Max89