That's all folks - again! Spitfire MkIX "Porky II" in 1/48 scale

Dejavu all over again........

I've already built this aircraft in 1/72 scale, but thanks to a member on the Suffolk Spitfire facebook page, Jamie Bell, who has created his own decals for the aircraft in 1/24 scale to suit the new Airfix kit, and also in 1/48 scale, I've now built it in the larger scale too. It's my favourite example of my favourite aircraft after all!

I used the Eduard Weekend Edition MkIXe kit to replicate how RW382 is today, but the Eduard MkIXc kit would be more accurate to how the real Porky II was in-period.

Brush painted with AK Interactive 3rd Gen paints, with Jamie's decals. If anyone wants a set in either 1/24 or 1/48 scale, let me know and I'll get you in touch with him.

I've tried my best to be as accurate as possible with the camoflage layout and decal positioning.

DSC-1251.jpg

DSC-1256.jpg

DSC-1257.jpg

DSC-1262.jpg

DSC-1266.jpg

DSC-1270.jpg

DSC-1271.jpg

DSC-1272.jpg

DSC-1274.jpg

DSC-1275.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

That is one very well built and painted Spitfire in U.S. colors.  It looks so crisp and clean, something I find hard to pull off as every little mistake you make will show up on a pristine finish.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

thanks for saying that. It's not as smooth a finish as you'd get with an airbrush, but I tried my hardest with this one. The gloss coat prior to decalling wasn't my finest work, but the satin top coat does hide this somewhat.

The perennial struggle between low-visibility camouflage and high-visibility markings. 

In this case, operating from secure protected bases and in an offensive role, then the USAAF in the UK was much more concerned with their aggressive attitude - "Here we are, come on up and try it on!"