Questions about the Harrier GR.3

Max89

Hey there,

I have some general questions about the Harrier GR.3 that I'm hoping someone here might have the answers to.

1. I noticed that there are two boundary layer bleed air discharge ducts directly behind the canopy (#53 in this diagram). Are these actuated with controls to open/close/adjust them, or are they fixed?
  2. Does the tailplane taper out towards the end or does it end with a straight edge that's parallel to the fuselage? I've attached a crude drawing depicting top views of the tailplane, where #1 tapers out and #2 doesn't. Which is more accurate?

spacer.png

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Max89

It's been a long time, but I'm sure that the boundary layer ducts are just channels without doors or controls.

The tailplane tips are not square cut but rounded.  However the shape will be basically that of the aerofoil section rotated 90 degs.  So a rounded shape at the front then tapering to the rear.

• Like 1

The boundary layer doors did move, but not very much.  Below is an image from the IPC .  I think they were were spring loaded, to operate when forward speed was higher.  They were always closed on the ground - except if anyone dropped something down the ducts.  There was no separate control for them.  The ducts can (just) be seen in some pictures of the inside of the nose undercarriage bay.  I'm currently working out how to add them to a 1/24 Harrier, having just added some (very) rough shapes to a 1/48 one.   

BLZbrzY.jpg