Mosquito build Q's

EthanGreen123

Hi, 

I'm planning on building Mosquito KA114, one of the few flying Mosquitos in the world today. However I am unsure of what paint to use, I mainly use Humbrol so I was thinking 163 Dark Green and 165 Medium Sea Grey? However any help on what paints would best match the colours of the real aircraft seen in the photos would be much appreciated. 

I will be using the Airfix 1/48 kit and so far am planning on getting either the Aires or Eduard cockpit etch set and the Barracudacals decals, would anyone recommend or not recommend these or any other extras to improve the kit? 

Any advice on the extras and paint colour would be of great help and appreciated. 

Thanks

DeHavilland Mosquito KA114

de Havilland DH98 Mosquito FB.26 s/n KA114 (1945) Military Aviation Museum N114KA 2014 Canadian Warplane Heritage Skyfest

De Havilland Mosquito FB.26 KA114 (N114KA)

The Airfix 1/48 kit is actually a great start, I might suggest a few things. Add a little bit more to the cockpit sidewalls, it will help ...

cockpit

P1211597

Consider using a Squadron (Falcon) vacuform canopy. Much clearer, no distortion, and easier to add the inner framework.

P2051602

And the prop roots need to be reduced in width, they are much to thick, and the spinner openings also reduced.

P2051606

If I remember correctly, when assembling the wings, cement the leading and trailing edges, but not the root - you may have to put a little wedge in the root to spread the wing to get a good fit in the fuselage.

It's a nice kit and you should have fun with it.

I can't help with the Humbrol paint, sorry, I use Tamiya acrylic, but the Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey should be correct.

• Like 1