Copper State Models RNAS Petty Officer armoured car division figure

Extra Cheese

I am just starting the Lanchester armoured car kit by CSM and have also treated myself to their Petty Officer miniature to go with it. (I intend to make a modest/simple "roadside" diorama to display them).

The Petty Officer moulding is absolutely beautiful - crisp, clean and with great "presence". For those who have not seen the CSM website, the model depicts a somewhat middle aged and corpulent figure wearing a huge (open) greatcoat,waistcoat and puttees. Pickwickian almost?

Anyway, I have no data available as to appropriate colours to finish. There is no information supplied with the model.

This would be my first miniature - I am a somewhat newbie at this and a bit of an old crock physically.

I would intend to airbrush the fellow first with a diluted grey primer, but from then on I'm flying blind.

I have read some old articles on painting figures, shading them etc. etc. and there is much to find on Yu Tube/internet etc. but - so far - nothing regarding RNAS WW1 uniforms.

I am reluctant to begin this opus - looking for excuses not to start yet!

Can anybody offer help or advice - or even better - has anybody done this particular figure?

Afternoon EC @Extra Cheese

had a look to see what I could find, most of the photo's are non colourised B&W, however you can see the difference between Navy blue and Khaki and the only photos I could find, mainly the Russian front 1915 - 1918, show the crews, officers, SNCO's and OR's wearing Khaki uniform, this being jackets, trousers and puttees. Fair bet that the boots were black and fairly 'well worn' there's little 'bull' on active service! Great coat, Hmmm! could have been Navy blue or Khaki...........your choice, though to my thinking, it would depend on how long the individual 'had in' (they would hang on to the Navy issue, if at all possible) or if they were volunteers 'for the duration', then Khaki is more likely.

Best excuse I can come up with for not starting the painting is your waiting until the FAA museum reopens!

Here's a link to the painted figure:-

https://ak-interactive.com/product/british-rnas-armoured-car-division-petty-officer/

and a couple of photos:-

post-63666-0-15795400-1329605915.jpg

With the uniform, I think it's the puttee's that dictate Khaki, though the differences in uniform are varied!

with the chap at the front of the A/C appearing to be wearing an officers 'British Warm' outer coat, can't see any rank badges, so.........

post-63666-0-72334400-1329605971.jpg

Just to prove I know nothing! here's one with the crew in single breasted RN uniform with gaiters rather than puttee's and boots polished!

Also note the white cap covers for three of the five.

With thanks to the Great War Forum for the use of the photo's.

Hope it's of some help,

Paul

Paul,

How very kind of you to take the trouble to dig out so much information and suggestions.

I really appreciate the help - thank you.

Overall, at first glance, the squaddie guy on the right in the upper photograph, has almost identical putties and peaked cap - flat-a-back - as the model.

The bloke with his foot up on the running board has an identical greatcoat and jacket as the model.

I assumed initially that outer clothing would be Navy blue - faded/stained appropriately.

Now you give me much thought as to khaki - an overall fascinating topic.

Bless you sir for your help and encouragement.

Peter