Couple B-24 questions...need opinions...

Faceplate

Hey all,

Got a couple questions I'm looking for opinions on. I'm building a 1/48 B-24 Liberator and am in the process of scratch building some of the interior parts, namely the nose section and the waist gun section. I've started the vertical ribbing process and I'm curious, as far as ribbing the parts that run horizontal, along the central axis. which do think is the best way to replicate it...cutting the ribbing piece by piece and fitting them in between the vertical ribs or just lay down the entire strip of styrene across the top of the ribbing length wise? (did that make sense?) Piece by piece takes forever. I've did it my other 1/48 'Lib. Laying the strip saves a ton of time. 

What say you?

Also, what do you guys think about possibly riveting the whole model. I did a couple test panels on 2 panels right behind the starboard bomb bay ,(you might be able to see them in my update I posted). Very time consuming but is it worth the effort?

What say you?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

If you can't see much, you could just lay them over the top, perhaps use the thinnest card possible so it's not so obvious. I would recommend riveting, I will be doing that with mine. It makes a nice improvement to any model in my opinion (assuming it has a riveted surface!)

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2019 at 12:19 PM, woody37 said:

If you can't see much, you could just lay them over the top, perhaps use the thinnest card possible so it's not so obvious. I would recommend riveting, I will be doing that with mine. It makes a nice improvement to any model in my opinion (assuming it has a riveted surface!)

Riveting it is then. Thanks.

You mentioned that you'll be doing the same to yours. What scale? I'm curious to see how you progress through your build. Here's a good question..I've been hunting for Eduard's BIG ED set #4932 and everywhere I go either no one has it and/or it's been discontinued by Eduard. What's up with that? Have these photo-etch sets really been discontinued? I've even been toying with the idea of getting the BIG ED set #4927 for the J variant for some of the photo-etch and masks.

What do you think? Any ideas? I'm scratch-building some of the cockpit parts but the photo-etch would come in handy for some of the details.

Thanks for the read.

🤘🤘

Edited by Faceplate

I haven’t started mine yet, it’s 1/48 although got several 1/72 to do too. Below is a link to my 1/48 halifax build where you can see the riveting done on the wings to get an idea.

i tend to only buy what etch I need for visible areas or just the cockpit panels. For other stuff I try to scratch build what I can, partly for cost, partly for fun. There’s plenty gone into the Halifax, depends on your motivations. Some prefer to add detail whether it’s seen or not. Personally life is too short to put in detail that won’t be seen, it takes me long enough to finish a build as it is!