More MiGs

After recently finishing my Eduard 48th scale Airacobras I felt like a change in scale to help my ageing eyes.  Recently I was at the Keighley model show (part 2) and picked up this little beastie.

20190925_211136

A nice little dual combo with some interesting schemes and again, a little outside my usual scale / subject area.

First impression was that this was a lot smaller than i suspected.  I mean, the 72nd scale kits I have built in the past have had the fuselage in two or even three pieces and were bloody long.  In 144, they are minute.

So detail is really good considering the scale so I thought I would crack straight on.  I do apologise as I forgot to take pics of the sprue, or even the cockpit parts, so keen was I to start.

20190925_211114

So we start the process with one fuselage buttoned up, And the component parts above.

The two halves went together so well I had to prise them apart a little to get the Tamiya extra thin to get between the pieces.

Next up is the spine,and again, there was a seriously tight fit of the parts.

20190925_212413

Four pieces to knock up the undercarriage bays.

20190927_204138

Before adding to the single piece wing.

20190927_204614

I test fitted one of the wings, and couldn't get it apart again, so tight is the tolerence.

20190927_204901

Next up, tail planes

20190927_205404

before the two piece canopy.

20190927_210829

And before you know it, you have two kits ready for paint.

A note: the kit has optional parts for open and closed canopy, and there is a good level of detail to show off in there.

The kit also comes with masks which will help with the canopy areas and wheel hubs.

The will be a short delay before any further work can be carried out as work will take me away from home for the next two weeks.  I will pick this back up when I return.  These WILL be on the table at Telford.

Thanks for looking

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Having spent a week in Hampshire,  followed immediately by a week north of Oban I finally got back home and back to the workbench. 

First thing first was to check where I had gotten up to, and see if I was happy. Giving it a thumbs up I spent a happy half hour masking the canopies before trying to paint one of them. It took a couple of goes but I finally ended up with this.

20191014_204354

20191014_204318

All done forehand as I can't be bothered to mask it.

I think, though, I will try masking the other one to see what it comes out like.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1