Lancaster - Tamiya Acrylic Paints

I've painted my Lancaster with Tamiya Acrylics but it all looks too new. What would be the best way to 'Dirty' the model a litle bit - to take the shiny Just .'Out of The Paintshop' look away. What techniques do the experts out there use to replicate the exhaust burns on the wings etc.?

I will need to finish with Tamiya flat clear XF-86. Will the normal coloured acrylic paint take over this varnish if I need to repaint anything. Also, should I apply the decals prior to varnishing, then re-varnish. (I read somewhere that these were difficult to apply to the flat paint finish).

I have clumsily broken the u/c and it looks a bit of a mess. Is there an outlet where I can purchase a new set? I see that some forumites write of parts being discarded from the kit and other suppliers parts being used.

I apologise for asking all these questions but I'm new to this scene.

Hi, and welcome aboard. You'll find lots of helpful people here.

Can't help too much with your weathering problems, sorry, but a lot of people swear by flory weathering washes. I've not used them myself.

Exhaust staining can be done with tamiya smoke, or some use pastels and oil paints.

Decals need to be applied to a gloss surface to adhere properly. You can either gloss coat the entire model, or just the area the decals fit, after decalling, seal in with another gloss coat. After that you can apply your finish of choice.

For undercarriage, try looking for special aircraft conversions, they do white metal replacement items for a lot of kits.

Don't know what scale your lancaster is, or if it's the new tool, but there is a set here....

http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/sac-1-72-lancaster-landing-gear-airfix.html

Hope this helps you out.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable peple will be along shortly with advice.

Also check out the tools and tips section on here.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

Thanks for all of you advice Matt. I've followed your link and see that landing gear is in stock 1:48. I'll experiment with the 'Exhaust Burns' to see what works best.

I did a new post on an older thread and then I thought that perhaps nobody would read it (being an old thread) so I started this current one.

Sandy