Storing thinned enamel

SkyMover

Any advice on storing thinned enamel paint?

If I make a batch for spraying I invariably end up making more than I need for one session. Does thinned enamel paint keep well? Talking maybe a few weeks or months here.

I've been looking around for suitable storage containers and this supplier seems to have something that might be suitable.

http://www.ampulla.co.uk/Shop-For-Glass/Glass-Ointment-Jars/c-1-169-192/

The aluminium cap ones look ideal - 15ml and 30ml sizes.

Chris

• Like 1

A very interesting link - thanks for sharing!

To answer your question:

1. Frankly it is a mystery to me how to store paints. OK basically: Cool, dry, dark and keep the lid clean and tight. But when I opened an unused tin last week which was in my inventory for years everything was fine. Severeal days later I reopened the tin again to find a thick skin has cured on the paint. No idea how this could happen.

2. And I strongly suggest to keep with the thinner which is offered by the paint brand (Humbrol thinner for Humbrol paints, Revell thinner for Revell paints) when you are about to store the mixed paint. I imagine that paints sometimes cure inside their containers more quickly when a different thinner is used. I might be mistaken but this is what I experienced.

3. Concering the containers I would use the Sirip bottles: http://www.ampulla.co.uk/CLEAR-GLASS-SIROP-BOTTLES/c-1-186/ As these are narrower there is less direct air contact at the paint surface.

4. One thing which eventually increases the shelf live is Nitrogen from a sray can. It was used for photo development chemicals back in the analogue days: After the chemical solution was filled in a container the nitrogen was sprayed in to get the oxygen out and then the container was closed. I never tried this with paints.

Rene

Thanks Rene,

The Sirip type bottle look useful too.

I was thinking the wider mouthed bottles looked better since it would be easier (easier=less messy!) to decant the neat paint from a tin. So, for example, I could take a full 14ml tin of matt black and after a good sir add it to the bottle without losing much, then add the thinners to the tin - give a good stir and then add the thinners to the bottle - that way get a reasonably accurate 50:50 mix for spraying.

I think I'll order some of each - at about £0.50p+VAT I don't think I can go wrong. I bought a couple of the Tamiya mixing jars from Hobbycraft last week and they were £1.10 each - no contest really.

Chris