Yak 19 A+V models resin 1/72

Yak19_2013_03_23_33_zpsab1288da.jpg

Yak19_2013_03_23_36_zps129a79eb.jpg

Not the most interesting a/c, aesthetically or for aviation significance, but it fills a gap in my collection of early Russian jets. The kit represents the second prototype.

First flown in January 1947 this was the first of a new generation with the engine amidships instead of the earlier ‘pod and boom’ layout. Unfortunately it was handicapped by being powered by the RD 10 engine, a derivative of the Jumo 004 and this, combined with other problems, made it unfit for service.

Ironically the later Yak 23, which retained the ‘pod and boom’ layout, but which was powered by the Russian version of the Derwent, went into production.

I got this one off ebay fairly cheaply to see what A+V kits were like .

Not a particularly brilliant kit but it went together fairly easily except for the canopy which was somewhat misshapen and a devil to fit.

The finish is Alclad Dark Aluminium over Alclad Black Base. The aerial is elastic thread from Aeroclub; the first time I have used this and am not 100% happy as I think that it looks more like a rope then a wire.

One problem is 'where to put the noseweight?'. I packed some lead under the cockpit and behind the seat but it turned out to be not quite enough so I drilled through the tailcone so that I could drop some more lead in from the rear and filled the (sealed) cockpit with resin swarf! I managed to shift it by turning the airbrush up to maximum pressure and blasting air through the intake whilst giving the model a good shaking - a narrow escape

Warning! I ordered a Yak 25 direct from A+V last year but it has yet to appear and I doubt if it ever will so I would advise against trying to get anything from the manufacturer.

John

Edited by John R
  • Like 1