Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'B-Wing'.
Found 3 results
It is very rare I decide to share one of my builds online- just making them for my own fun mostly. This one I chose to make an exception on- it is still needing a couple of minor things such as adding the engine lights, a bit more weathering and decals, but when I put it on the stand last night it felt finished enough to share. It is the SDCC Edition B-Wing. I figure there were enough people building it to match the filming model so I gave mine two additional twists. The first is that I made it Red 7. There was some discussion a while back about how the wing stripes on the X-Wings could show numbers higher than the five the space allowed for, I thought gaping them would work so I used that on this fighter. I also though the long fuselage strip on the X-Wings would look nice on the main wing of this build so Red 7 was born. The Second was giving it a bit of history. The SDCC has a couple of missing panels at the bottom of the main wing with exposed greebly. the stock version of the kit has an exposed panel up at the top that the SDCC version has a plug for. I liked it open so I added some mechanical bits behind it. I then started thinking- why leave these two areas open. What I came up with was that this particular fighter was damaged in it's last battle. The mechanics did not have time to do a proper repair so the power feeds the blast tore apart and just ran a couple of bypasses along the outside instead. This to me gives a reason for those missing panels and sort of embraces the feel for the Rebels doing whatever it takes to get things battle ready without having the time or materials to do it in a fancy way. As mentioned there are still a couple of things I think still need to be done for this build but I am going to put in on the shelf for a while and just enjoy it a bit...
Back in the 80's I purchased, as a job lot, the MPC Snap versions of the X-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Interceptor and the B-Wing, the subject of this little revisit. (They may have been in a 4 ship box set thiking back) Image below for reference I recall I assembled the B-Wing on the train home from Oxford. Once home I painted it... not very well. It had a stand, long since lost to time, marriage, children and house moves. I still have two of it's stable mates more or less intact and shall turn my attention to them in the future. The finish on the B-Wing didn't look any better. So I disassembled it (sorry, didn't think to take a piccie before I had done this and started work). Filled and sanded some significant holes including the original stand location on the engine housing on the right Thinned the intake walls to produce an impression of scale thickness Fixed the seam on the cockpit section including removing some serious misalignments in the detail around the circumference and cleaned up the hole at the back to a more consistent profile. Spent a cosy evening yesterday recreating the intake at the front of the main engine nacelle from plasticard so it wouldn't look so much like it was made from thick sliced bread Really rather pleased with that I also drilled out the guns but no piccie for that yet. That's as far as it goes for now. Thanks for looking in Phil
Hi folks, Thought I'd get this party started at least so it's here when I have the time to get the build going. This is the MPC Snap kit of the Return of the Jedi B-Wing Fighter. I finally managed to track down a kit at a reasonable price, but was amazed at how small it is. Definitely a "box scale" kit . Anyway, here's a photo of the box and its contents taken this afternoon: This is the condition in which it arrived - no paint, no glue, but some parts off their trees. As it was a sealed box, I'm going assume that rattling around in its journeys caused the parts to leave their homes and start wandering. I intend lighting this, as it's simply a case of lights at the front of the wing-fold mechanisms, cockpit lighting, and of course engines. As it's so small, the LEDs will have to go into the locations of the lights, rather than trying to bend fibre-optic cable, or creating perspex light-guides. It's just not worth the hassle . I have a bag of about 100 warm white 3mm LEDs, some of which I shall use for this - any colouring will be done using Tamiya transparent paint, but otherwise the warm-white colour is much more in line with the incandescent bulbs used in the filming models. Power will be supplied externally at 6V, and stepped down to "bugger-all current" by various resistors... so that the lights don't overpower the model. This means I'll have to devise another stand to hold the batteries, battery holder, on-off switch and the wiring leading to the model. I have some planning to do . Although it's possible to articulate the model (it's designed to allow the wings to fold, and the cockpit rotate), I'm not sure yet about how to hack the cockpit section around to allow the wiring through and still allow it to rotate. We'll see. Anyway, there it is! I'm looking forward to this, and hope to make a start in the next few days.