Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Fantastic Plastic'.
This is the experimental lifting body flown during the late '60s, familiar to many (as the box art suggests) from the opening sequence of The Six Million Dollar Man. (Remarkably, Steve Austin left the B52 in an HL-10 and crashed in an M2-F2.) The kit doesn't have many parts, and those it has are relatively undetailed. The resin needed a lot of hot-dipping to straighten out various kinks, and a lot of filling and sanding to eliminate seams or improve fit, in particular at the join between upper and lower fuselage halves. The decal sheet was badly printed. I contacted Fantastic Plastic about this, but got no reply, so ended up scanning the sheet and rebuilding or replacing several decals using Experts-Choice decal paper. The paintwork is an experiment I very soon regretted. Other people appear to be able to use Alclad unsealed, but I'm not one of those people--the surface of my polished aluminium got distinctly unpolished and worn just with the very careful handling required to bed down the decals, and the different reflectivity of the decals is a bit of an offence to the eye from some angles. Altogether it was a dispiriting build, which very nearly ended up in the bin several times, and I never mustered the enthusiasm to begin a WiP thread. The highlight of the whole experience was the point at which I lost one of the control surface parts for a week, only to discover it in my trouser pocket while hunting for change for a parking meter. Old age doesn't come itself ... Here's what the real thing looked like: And here's what I produced. Some additional detail with styrene and brass rod. Paint is Alclad polished aluminium and matt white. Ejector seat straps are cannibalized from an Airwaves set, and the cockpit was detailed up a little using Airscale early Allied jet instrument decals. Either the kit undercarriage gear is too long, or I mistook part of the pour stub for part of the gear, so the model sits a little too high. This annoys me, but doesn't annoy me enough to make me want to revise it at present. It's a tail-sitter, of course, and I've made no effort to edit out the transparent rod I tucked under the engine bells for support. Thanks for looking, and well done for getting past the outpouring of negativity with which I started this post!
This is a model of the classic "Space Station V" from the film 2001: A Space Odyssey: The kit is the resin and photoetch steel kit from Fantastic Plastic: "Variable scale" means that three different sizes of Orion space clipper are provided. Of these, only the smallest seems to be a reasonable match for the movie's docking sequence: I decided early on that I wanted to include the Orion spacecraft, but didn't like the idea of having it attached by its nose to a long stick connected to the station. Eventually I used some transparent rod and modelled the Orion departing from the station, in the manner of Bob McCall's movie poster, which at least provides some sort of visual explanation for why there might be a mysterious trail linking the spacecraft to the station. Apart from that, very minimal scratch building was involved. There are rectangular plates on the outer rim (visible in the movie still above) which aren't included in the kit. I added these using sheet styrene--as well as being "realistic", they neatly cover the joins in the resin rim parts, which featured some rather ugly pour stubs (especially in the partial ring). I removed and discarded some poorly moulded and damaged "outrigger" strips on the kit spokes, and replaced them with brass strip. I printed my own decal sheet to detail the blank interiors of the docking ports, as well as to produce a selection of greeblies to add a few features in emulation of the movie model. The kit required a lot of work to adjust the shape of the resin rim parts, to fill small holes, and to fix poorly moulded detail (some very unsightly grooves) on the partial ring sections. I could have spent three times longer on that, but eventually got to the "good enough" point at which I just wanted to get on with the build. It was a pretty demanding build--certainly the hardest I've attempted. The build log is here: Paint is Tamiya. I mixed up my own shades of pale grey and red-brown to try to get something close to the movie appearance. (I really don't like Fantastic Plastic's garish red-and-white box art.) I used LifeColor Liquid Pigment washes, and sealed it all with Humbrol acrylic varnish. I also attempted some images on a black "space" background, with variable success: Finally, here it is poised on Marco Scheloske's lovely stand, which really makes all the difference to displaying this model:
I just stumbled on this while I was looking for some detail pics of the exterior of the Roci. https://fantastic-plastic.com/rocinante---catalog1.html Scale: 1:144 Length: 12 inches (30.48 cm) Number of Pieces: 115 Pattern: Scott Lowther Casting: Mana Studios Decals: JBOT (Decals for both the Rocinante and MCRN Tachi) Original Box Art by Brad Fraunfelter That's about the same length as the 3D printed one from printedplanes, but quite a bit more expensive at $170, or a lot more by the time we've imported it & been hit with duty & charges