Pilatus PC-6B/H-2 Turbo Porter (Fairchild UV-20A Chiricahua)

richellis

Pilatus PC-6B/H-2 Turbo Porter (Fairchild UV-20A Chiricahua)

1/48 Injection plastic kit from Roden

The Pilatus Porter aircraft is a single engine high wing light aircraft. It was designed and built, since 1959 by Pilatus Aircraft Ltd in Switzerland, and under licence by Fairchild-Hiller Corp in the USA. It is designed to be a small transport aircraft with exceptionally short take off and landing performance. The Pilatus Porter is a versatile aircraft and has found many uses with both military and civil operators, and it has been used as a passenger or transport aircraft in virtually any situation. The Porter can be fitted with skis or floats, and has found a place as an ideal aircraft for use with parachuting groups.

While researching this aircraft I found a great site for reference on this aircraft here.

Pil%20box.JPG

The kit comes in a sturdy box, and the sprues are in a clear plastic bag, with the instructions and decals bagged separately. On the box is a nice colour picture with information on the aircraft and kit manufacture on the sides.

The kit is spread over 8 grey sprues, and one clear. My only criticism of the packaging is that the clear sprue is packed with the grey sprues and could become scratched in transit.

Pil%201.JPG

The biggest sprue has the fuselage halves on. The detail is very fine, with nice recessed panel lines scribed on. All the doors are separate to alow them to be shown open or closed. Some holes will need to be drilled in the fuselage sides, and floor for some versions, but clear instructions are given on where to drill, although there are no dimples on the plastic to help.

Pil2.JPG

The wings are in 4 parts, again with panel lines scribed. The control surfaces are separate parts to allow them to be posed; this is the same on the whole kit. The smaller parts or spread over the remaining 6 sprues, with 2 being duplicates. The detail is good, and there is no flash evident on my review sample. The interior is detailed with a nice cockpit and seating for the cabin.

Pil3.JPGPil4.JPG

The clear sprue is to the same standard of the rest of the kit, although I do worry about it becoming scratched. If you are putting it straight into the stash I would take it out and wrap it separately, just in case.

Pil5.JPG

The decal sheet is well printed, in good register, and contains the decals for 5 versions. There is a small separate sheet for the instrument panel.

Pil%20Dec.JPG

Conclusion

This is a very nice kit from Roden. This is the first time I have seen one of their kits and I am impressed, the moulding is very crisp and flash free, with a very good level of detail. As the real aircraft fills a myriad of roles with both civil and military operators across the world this kit has lots appeal, and should see many aftermarket decal sheets in due course. A recommended buy, and I look forward to building this kit! I hope to see more from Roden.

Review sample courtesy of roden_logo.gif

Edited by richellis

• 2 weeks later...