Messerschmitt Bf109E-1/E-3/E-7 Trop

Mike

Messerschmitt Bf109E-1/E-3/E-7 Trop

1:48 Airfix

boxtop.jpg

We reviewed the Emil in July 2010 here, and this release from Airfix is simply the tropicalised version, which has sand filters in the supercharger intake to prevent the engine from ingesting the abrasive sand often kicked up to surprising altitudes in desert regions, with all the attendant wear and tear that would cause quite quickly. Apparently, there were often small brackets for a sun umbrella fitted to the left side of the cockpit - all mod cons!

The sprues are identical to the original release, so you'll excuse me if I reuse the originals to save our web space, but the decal sheet is significantly different, as it includes markings for airframes used in the Spanish Civil War and in Stalingrad, as well as the expected desert scheme.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

clear.jpg

As previously mentioned in the earlier review, the general consensus of the moulding is good, and my only real niggle was that the engine half moulded into the nose area was probably insufficiently complete for the more advanced modeller, so is best left beneath the supplied cowling. In addition to that comment, I have also noticed that on this release (I can't check the standard E boxing, as I have given it away to a good cause) that there are a number of ejector pin marks in awkward places.

The most noticeable pin marks are in the cockpit, where there are two ridged circles on each sidewall. There are also one in each wheel well roof, and further small ones on the undersides of the flaps, although some are covered by the bulges aft of the radiator housings. You could probably leave the ones in the cockpit if you're installing the rather nicely moulded pilot figure, as he'll fill the space well, and only the really dedicated viewer might catch a glimpse of the marks.

Whilst none of the ejector pin marks are impossible to remove, it makes one wonder why they haven't been more discretely sited, although I will admit that I have no real understanding of the design of an injection mould, so will happily bow to expert opinion.

Those gripes aside, the kit is of good quality, and the choice of markings make for a colourful model, whichever you choose in the end. Even the grey Spanish Civil War markings have white wingtips and bold black roundels with white crosses.

From the decal sheet you can build one of the following:

• 109E-7 Fw. Franz Elles, 8./Jagdgeschwader 27, Western Desert, April 1941.
  • 109E-3 Adjutant Aviator de Reservâ Tiberiu Vinc, Grupul 7 Vânâtoare, Stalingrad, 1942/3
  • 109E-1 3. Jagdgruppe 88, Condor Legion, Spanish Civil War, 1939

The decals are crisp and in perfect register, and colors are bright without being overpowering. The inclusion of Romanian markings in German service is welcome, and the scheme very bright, which this reviewer finds rather tempting.

decals.jpg

Conclusion

A good kit of a rather popular aircraft. The inclusion of some left-field schemes that many may not have seen before adds to the overall package, and once those pesky sink marks have been obliterated, it will build up into a good likeness of the real thing. The inclusion of engine detail should appeal to many, and although some detail isn't there, what is supplied is delicately moulded, and can be improved upon.

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

One thing that people don't seem to have picked up on , is the ammo containers at the rear of the engine compartment (yes, those little sticky out bits that stop the motor cowling fitting and have to be trimmed,) are moulded one complete station too far forward.. We desperately need a decent replacement canopy for this kit- desperately desperately desperately...