Painting GE90 fanblades

Whisperjet

Hi guys

I'm currently working on a Revell/Zvezda 777 and a 747-8.

Do you have any suggestions on how to paint the fanblades? They are overall black with a thin silver front edge. How would you paint the edge? Seems to be quite a challenge to get it right.

Thank you and best regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I've not painted any of these fanblades yet so this is just an idea. Could you try a silver felt tipped pen like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coloured-0-8-1-2mm-Silver-Plastic-Outdoor/dp/B00M0PDIK2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480028880&sr=8-4&keywords=paint+pen+for+plastic

My thinking is that before the two sets of fanblades are brought together there is enough space between each blade to be able to run the pen sideways at 90 degrees to the edge of the fanblade with the edge of the pen. I hope that makes sense! With a little care I'd think it would be possible for each blade to have an even width silver leading edge.

When I finally get around to my 777 this is the method I'll hopefully use. If you try it let us know if it works!

Cheers,

Ian

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2016 at 5:04 PM, wanthony said:

If I was doing it I would airbrush the blades black, then cut fine strips of masking tape, mask off the leading edges, and hand paint the aluminum. Since the fan comes in two pieces, it should be even easier!

Hi guys, I've been through this task and I tried exactly how you've said above. its pretty much impossible to apply the masking tape to the edges as the blades curl and are just too small. You would probably need 1mm tape in order to bend it correctly 

I separated both parts as I believe the blades come in 2,  sprayed them silver then hand painted the edges black with a brand new brush. even if one is slightly dodgy once you put both parts together any errors will be less noticeable. 

IMG_20160722_164515_zpsyv79l5f1.jpgIMG_20160504_151906_zps85gvpcjh.jpg

Edited by phil1
missed info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1