Question about exhaust stacks on the Mk Vb and Seafire Mk III

Hello all,

I was wondering when the exhaust stacks on the Vb went from the three stack to six stack format. From what I understand late in the production of the Mk Vb the switch was made. Also, supposedly the first production Seafire Mk III originally had the three stack exhaust we are all familiar with. Did they use the fishtail or tube stacks, or were tube style used only on late model Spits? Does anyone have more information on this?

Cheers

On the V Tropical (only) multi-ejector exhausts were introduced (possibly tied in with the introduction of a special Merlin 45M, also for tropical Vs) from 14-1-44.

The same multi-ejector type was introduced, on the Seafire Ib, IIc, LIIc, and III from September 1944.

Tubular exhausts were designed for the Griffon-powered Spitfires and Seafires, and were to be fitted "on replacement only," from June 1946, so shouldn't have been seen on Merlins at any time during the war.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

On the V Tropical (only) multi-ejector exhausts were introduced (possibly tied in with the introduction of a special Merlin 45M, also for tropical Vs) from 14-1-44.The same multi-ejector type was introduced, on the Seafire Ib, IIc, LIIc, and III from September 1944.Tubular exhausts were designed for the Griffon-powered Spitfires and Seafires, and were to be fitted "on replacement only," from June 1946, so shouldn't have been seen on Merlins at any time during the war.Edgar

Thanks Edgar, I have not seen any pictures of the Vb with the fishtail exhaust, nor MkIII Seafires with the standard three stack exhausts. I am sure those photos are out there. Regardless I feel confident I have the proper parts on my kits.

Cheers

The prototype and first production (at least) F Mk.IIIs had the three-a-side fishtail exhausts, and also the original temperate air intake. The first 30 however had non-folding wings and were redesignated as Mk.IIcs. The Aerovee filter was fitted from the 91st aircraft.

I suspect the six-a-side exhaust came with the Merlin 55M from the 104th aircraft, as the L Mk.III.

Info from Spitfire The History, which also includes many pictures of Mk.VBs with the three-a-side fishtail exhausts, enough to suggest they were normal for the type.

I'm not sure what 'addict' meant by fishtail exhausts on the Vb, but they started with the usual (Mk.I/II) type, then went to 3-stack "fishtails" as normal. Some have the augmentor tube, some don't, some have the tube through the exhausts but they aren't hooked up anymore. Another one of those things on my "need to understand" list eventually! I imagine the 6-stack type was mostly on LF.Vs, or low rated engines (same thing?) but there may have been some put with higher rated engines, too. That was one of a number of drag-reduction mods, so could be done independently, or as part of a "package".

bob