A-20G Havoc

Stebos

Hi folks, joining in a bit late here but not been well enough to model for some months.

However things are improving so I'm giving this one a go!

a20box.jpg

Hoping to have this finished for MAFVA at Duxford on the 6th June, be good to have some invasion stripes out on the table.

The sprues:

a20sprue.jpg

and begining progress:

a20pit1.jpg

Cockpit detail is decent for the scale, and there's a few pieces of coloured etch to add after painting.

Some dry fitting showed up a nasty issue... the fuselage sides don't come close to meeting.

a20gap.jpg

I used the canopy & nose section to see what solution would work best. Turns out the cockpit insert was a few mm to wide so some heavy sanding got everything back into shape and fitting neater.

Now it's painting up time...

Edited by Stebos

Some more progress, lots still to do!

Interior is painted up and the etch in place. I didn't bother with the throttles as they're just too tiny and wouldn't be seen anyway as the canopy isn't all that clear.

a20pit2.jpg

Test fitting showed the nose section would have a step all around if added later in the build as suggested... so I added it earlier and will fill the centre seam for a much easier time of it.

a20pit3.jpg

The etch is nice, but the deep overhang sadly hides most of it.

a20pit4.jpg

Pre-painted belts were fine to use, I left off the tiny detail parts.

The rest of the build should progress fast now, but I'm expecting to have to fill and sand almost every join...

Almost done! Still hoping for finishing for sunday...

a201.jpg

It's been a nice kit so far, the only real issue is poor fit at joints needing filling and the oversized cockpit insert.

The main undercarriage looked rather complex at first, but it's actually quite well engineered and fitted together nicely. Strength doesn't seem much of an issue either.

a20gear.jpg

The last major parts still to add:

a20parts.jpg

Hoping to get priming thursday night!

One last thing, anyone know why there's this hole in the rear fuselage?

a20hole.jpg

There's no mention of it in the instructions, nor a mysterious part on the sprue for it. Would it be a missed piece of glazing or should I fill it? Haven't found a photo reference at all.