Trouble with Eduard masks on 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito

Rando

Just pulled the Eduard masks off my Tamiya Mosquito and have to say I'm disappointed by how it all went. They didn't fit great going on, I had to trim a few of them. Basically the paint lines on the frame aren't cut very clean and the masks seemed to have left adhesive residue behind. In hindsight I should have detacked them before applying them. The pictures here on Scalemates are after I tried fixing the frames some with a toothpick and Mr Leveling Thinner. Any advice on how I could improve this? Or should I just pop it off, strip the paint, and try to mask it again? 

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=121979&p=albums&album=107750#37

From my experience with Eduard masks, they're usually first-rate.  I'm talking about their masks that are kabuki tape based, the yellow ones that look like Tamiya tape.  I can't speak for their old (and I mean old) vinyl masks though, and this kit is old enough to be of the vinyl vintage if you've had them in the stash for a few years.  Also, what type of paint were you spraying?  I regularly use acrylics with Ultimate thinners, and Gunze with Mr Leveling Thinner, which is a cellulose based thinner, although not as hot as some.  Could you have perhaps sprayed something a bit too hot, and a bit too wet that got into the adhesive?  I've never experienced it myself, and I've left masks on for literal years before now.

One of the good things about dipping your canopies in Klear/Future is that if things go wrong, you can sacrifice a small cupful of the stuff and dump the offending canopy into it.  Over a few hours it'll melt the old layer of Klear and all the paint will be brought off too.  If you dip your canopies, you could try that.  Otherwise, you'll have to be careful to choose a solvent for the paint that won't affect the clarity of the clear parts.  It's a tricky one, but you could always request a replacement canopy from Tamiya or their agents if it doesn't go well?  there are also replacement vacformed canopies available as aftermarket, unless you're phobic? :)

• Like 1

I’m using their 2005 masking set, which seems like typical masking tape. Also I use Tamiya and Gunze acrylics with Mr Leveling Thinner as well. Getting a replacement or aftermarket canopy isn’t something I’m opposed to, although I’m hoping I can just fix the one I have at the moment, starting with fixing the paint on the frames but stripping the paint off the canopy if I have to. Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rando said:

I’m using their 2005 masking set, which seems like typical masking tape.

That's better than the vinyl stuff they used to use.  vinyl isn't great for masking curved shapes, so I was glad when they started using Kabuki tape.  Good luck with the renovation - I hope you get it sorted :yes:

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, I took some advice from a friend on scalemates and carefully painted up the frames a bit more, and cleaned the clear areas with Leveling Thinner. They look improved enough, and I think I can mostly call this project done!