Last of the Breed...1/48 Mitsubishi A6M8 Type 54, IJN

I really like how that oilpaint wash on the green has picked out the panel lines.  Trying to get back into modelling and Ive got a 2/3 finished Zero from years ago !

Can you tell me what colour / type of oil you used on the green ?  And is that a matt varnish afterwards ?

mungo_55

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mungo_55 said:

I really like how that oilpaint wash on the green has picked out the panel lines.  Trying to get back into modelling and Ive got a 2/3 finished Zero from years ago !

Can you tell me what colour / type of oil you used on the green ?  And is that a matt varnish afterwards ?

mungo_55

Hi!

At the moment, my dad uses this brand and these colour tones

53177041277_ddbb05d660_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

mixed with this

53177631651_d2271f25fc_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

With these he has mixed several washes, depending on the camo colour and/or the area the aircraft was used.

Basically he uses three different tones, a light grey (like here), a dark grey and a sand tone.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mungo_55 said:

Thats really useful, thanks a lot !

You should find several tutorials on youtube how to mix, apply and remove oilpaint washes.

Regarding the clear coats, my dad applies 1-2 flat coats in the finishing phase. Before, after painting the model he applies a gloss coat, decals, gloss coat, washing, gloss coat to seal everything again. When you use an airbrush for sealing the wash, you have to be careful not to "blow" away all the wash again with the clear paint.

I'm not sure now but I think it's possible that he seals the wash already with a flat coat.

• Like 1