B-25C/D Flame Dampers in 1/48?

Crimea River

Hoping someone might know of any aftermarket B-25 flame dampers so that I can convert my 1/48 Accurate Miniatures B-25B Doolittle Raider to a B-25C/D "Dirty Gertie from Bizerte". These dampers look like this:

nfk2o14-jpg.671828

ynve7pu-jpg.671826

These would replace the large single pipe on the B model. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

No aftermarket parts for these exhaust collectors.

Here's the word from the "Parts Catalog for Army Models B-25C and B-25D..." dated 30 March 1944.

Exhaust manifold collector (single exhaust outboard on both nacelles):

B-25C Airplanes 41-12434 to 41-13038 incl.
B-25D Airplanes 41-29648 to 41-29847 incl.

Exhaust manifold collector ("finger type"):

B-25C-1-NA, B-25C-5-NA, B-25C-10-NA, B-25D-1-NA, B-25D-5-NA, B-25D-10-NA

Individual exhaust stacks:

B-25C-15-NA & Subs.
B-25D-15-NA & Subs.

The early single and finger type exhaust collectors were sometimes replaced in the field by the individual exhaust stacks, if the aircraft survived long enough.

finger-type-exhaust.jpg

The kit modification is more than making the "fingers".  As the photos you posted show, the panels under the cowl flaps were altered to allow the cowl flaps to close completely with the exhaust collector protruding aft of the cowl flaps.  The kit will need the same.

Don

P. S. - The exhaust manifold collectors were the same for both engines. They were not handed.

Edited by don f
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Don, very informative. Dirty Gertie was s/n 4129896 which is called up as a "B-25D-1-NC" in a published article found on the web. Looks like I'll need to think about scratch building the finger type stubs. The panels under the exhaust groups can be be easily filed down to create the grooves. 

5 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Thanks for that Don, very informative. Dirty Gertie was s/n 4129896 which is called up as a "B-25D-1-NC" in a published article found on the web. Looks like I'll need to think about scratch building the finger type stubs. The panels under the exhaust groups can be be easily filed down to create the grooves. 

Happy to add a little more to the information that you already have.  From the photos that I have seen, most of the exhaust stubs were cut short to improve aircraft performance.  And if you are looking for call numbers, they were specified as 9" in height.  Dirty Gertie looked very weathered and ratty with all the streaks of dark paint touch-ups, likely with Dark Olive Drab.  Hopefully you will post progress pictures of your project. I'm very interested in your kit modifications and fabrication of the exhaust stacks.

Don

5 hours ago, don f said:

Happy to add a little more to the information that you already have.  From the photos that I have seen, most of the exhaust stubs were cut short to improve aircraft performance.  And if you are looking for call numbers, they were specified as 9" in height.  Dirty Gertie looked very weathered and ratty with all the streaks of dark paint touch-ups, likely with Dark Olive Drab.  Hopefully you will post progress pictures of your project. I'm very interested in your kit modifications and fabrication of the exhaust stacks.

Don

The grubby look is why I chose the subject. I'm aware of only the one pic of the aircraft in flight and the exhausts are not clearly visible. Do you have a picture example of what the "cut short" exhausts looked like? This could save me a lot of effort in trying to curve these ouward.

I have a lot to learn about the B-25 and so will welcome your input when I post the progress. It will be a slow start with maybe a bit next week and then a resumption in late August. I'll be sure to post a thread on my build when I get going. Thanks Don.