Super Secret Whiff

Flanker37

Hi everyone. I am returning to model making after a very long absence. 1995 to be exact. Time, work, and living space has kept me from the hobby.  I've had a what if project in my mind for a very long time.  And its something i am very excited to build. Because as much as i've searched, i dont think anyone has ever done it before.

So i have a few questions as i have been so long out of the game, and the model i have in mind will require i little bit of scratchbuilding. I need to fabricate a tail gun similar to what is on the back end of a Tu-95, B-52 etc.  It would be an automated turret, not a manned one.  what would be the best diameter to use for guns in 1/144th scale.  How would i go about achieving that chalkboard look of the SR-71 in 1/144th scale And how best to build something similar to these Rocket pods

ME13O8OY_t.jpg

For the missiles, I'd go for 1/72 Bullpups as found in the Hasegawa set III or IV.The pod under the wing I'd scratch build with styrene sheet with cut down Sidewinders maybe as the missiles within?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darthspud said:

For the missiles, I'd go for 1/72 Bullpups as found in the Hasegawa set III or IV.The pod under the wing I'd scratch build with styrene sheet with cut down Sidewinders maybe as the missiles within?

im going to be using some sparrows nicked from a 1/144th tonka, because in some of the comic drawings those missiles actually look more like sparrows. Kudos on the Bulldogs, i would never have thought of using smaller missiles from a 1/72nd scale kit

Just checked, set iv has agm12b & 12c. I'd err towards the 12b as its smaller and has smaller rear fins further back on the missile body. But they are still going to be huge on a 1/144 air frame.

• Like 1

For the missiles I'd agree with previous posts that AGM-12s have the right look you're going for. It's impossible without more context to judge scale accurately but if the 1/72 versions are too large there are 1/144 versions out there:

Arii 1/144 Weapons Set B

As to your second question, the key to a good "scale finish" on aircraft like the Blackbird is to avoid a monochromatic "jet black" color, and instead start with a good "scale black" - actually very dark gray.  Tamiya's NATO black is a good example, the more weathered an appearance you want the lighter the base color you should start with. Add to that a wash of dark gray (again, not pure black) and depending on the model's level of raised details drybrushing with a subtly lightened tint of the base color. If you have decals in the mix, it gets a bit more complicated but generally I've had best results using a gloss base coat (or gloss clear over the base color), decaling, wash/drybrush, and a final matte clear coat to dull things down and bring it all together.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CT7567 said:

For the missiles I'd agree with previous posts that AGM-12s have the right look you're going for. It's impossible without more context to judge scale accurately but if the 1/72 versions are too large there are 1/144 versions out there:

Arii 1/144 Weapons Set B

As to your second question, the key to a good "scale finish" on aircraft like the Blackbird is to avoid a monochromatic "jet black" color, and instead start with a good "scale black" - actually very dark gray.  Tamiya's NATO black is a good example, the more weathered an appearance you want the lighter the base color you should start with. Add to that a wash of dark gray (again, not pure black) and depending on the model's level of raised details drybrushing with a subtly lightened tint of the base color. If you have decals in the mix, it gets a bit more complicated but generally I've had best results using a gloss base coat (or gloss clear over the base color), decaling, wash/drybrush, and a final matte clear coat to dull things down and bring it all together.

Thanks, I wasn't specifically going to go for the look of the missile. As it's from a comic. But being in nato, I would assume it could carry anything that fits. Thanks for the link and weathering tips

I haven't the faintest idea just what you are making...  Being a Whif, it doesn't matter, but in real life NATO compatibility/standardisation only means that somebody in NATO has it, not that everyone else can use it.  Actually clearing anything for carriage on any type is a complicated business for structural, aerodynamic, and ballistic reasons, and "smart" weapons require linkages into the aircraft weapons system.

• Like 1