RN Deck landing WW2

Valenstitch

I found this by accident just now, it`s probably been posted before but I thought what the hell, some good stuff, Corsair, Hellcat, Firebrand, Mosquito and Vampire, all supported by some dreadful acting!

Granto

• Like 2

This is ace.

"Deck landing is not particularly difficult or dangerous".

Hahahaha

Surprised at them using Corsairs for a 1946 training film though, rather than Seafires. I thought all the Corsairs had gone over the side by then.

• Like 2

I read in Hank Adlam`s book "On and off the flight deck" that at the end of the war off the coast of Australia, a good number of Corsairs were as you say pushed over the side, but not all of them, from what I have read elsewhere the selection was made by the Air Engineering Officers who ditched all the old or troublesome aircraft, when Hank returned to UK in early 1946  he as senior pilot, lead the ships remaining Corsairs to HMS Daedalus at Lee-on-Solent before the carrier docked in Portsmouth, complete with a paying off pennant attached to his antenna mast, which subsequently jammed his rudder, making his last flight in a Corsair somewhat more memorable that it should have been!

Granto  

• Like 3

Even so, you'd think if making a training film they'd use a type of aircraft they intended to continue using for more than the next five minutes. Still, I am glad we have it, it's highly entertaining. Can't help thinking what a fun filming day they must have had with those deliberate ADDL errors.

This one is rather earlier, for Martlet, Fulmar and Swordfish fans.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 5