F-14 TOMCAT PICTURE NEEDED

Air one

Hi guys!

I am currently gathering information to rebuild and customize a 1/18 JSI F-14A Tomcat.

i am looking to display it as a US NAVY VX-23 aircraft...

BUT... I would like to depict it as a F-14 B... but I have been unable to obtain any info or picture regarding  the fact that this unit has been (or not!) using the -B model.

The only hint, a side-view drawing, that I have found, is one from the M.A.T.S, the reference site of the Turkey bird.

Can anybody help me with this?

thanks guys!

Edited by Air one

Are you looking specifically for an aircraft that served after the unit was renamed VX-23 ? This unit was originally the Aircraft Division or NAWC and was renamed VX-23 in 2002. A number of Tomcats served with NAWC various divisions, the profiles on the MATS site actually show aircrafts that served before VX-23 was established.

Also, would a D be ok for you ? NAWC sure used the D variant together with a number of A, I'm pretty sure that most tests on the B variant were done using aircrafts from line squadrons

Hi Giorgio,

Firstly thank you for your reply,

Secondly, my goal would be to model a F-14B with VX-23 marking (SD on tail with lighting bold and stripes)...

BUT... I want to build a real aircraft not a what-if...and at the moment I am unable to find any intel proving that such an aircraft type was used by VX-23...

I can only find -A's or -D's....

Regards,

I managed to find some info and only 2 F-14D (or better, NF-14D as they were aircrafts configured for tests) were used by NAWC/VX-23: Bu.no.163412, carrying the codes SD-230 and 163417, carrying the codes SD-231.

Of the two, 163412 served up to April 2002, meaning that really this served with the unit before it was named VX-23. This is the aircraft that was used for the test of the DFCS system, together with an F-14A (Bu.No 160658, coded SD-207). 163412 is the aircraft shown in the profile on MATS and captioned, incorrectly, as an F-14B

Unfortunately no F-14B seems to have served with these codes