Operation CHASTISE

Jonny

I've been researching (again) some facts & figures about Operation CHASTISE - the Dams raid.

One of the marking options in the new Airfix Classic kit is for McCarthy's aircraft, T-Tommy. i've discovered that this aircraft was flown to Scampton shortly before the raid, having been used for trials work. It was to be a spare but just before McCarthy took off in his 'own' Lancaster a fault was discovered and consequently he and his crew transferred to T-Tommy.

The account I've been reading says that T-Tommy did not have the height-finding spotlights fitted, or the VHF system - both were fitted to aircraft by 617 Squadron groundcrew but becasuse T-Tommy arrived so late there wasn't time to fit them. Luckily McCarthy was tasked with attacking the Sorpe dam and didn't need the spotlights because the method of attack wasn't the same as for the Mohne and Eder dams.

I haven't been able to veriify this, but be warned!

I've noticed in several 'build' threads that modellers seem to be filling the H2S equipment. This isn't appropriate for the aircraft used fior CHASTISE - I'm not sure it was in service in May 1943! Make of this what you will!