Brushing Tamiya Acrylics

-james-

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you had any tips for brushing tamiya acrylics?

After numerous coats of paint, the matt black isnt matt and still is rather transparent. Have I just got a bad batch or is that how they are?

Any help would be appreciated with regards to techniques,

James

hi James -Tamiya acrylics arent the easiset to brush as they dry very quickly, but just a quick question - did you stir your bottle, then shake, re-stir and shake and re-stir again before brushing? :)

Tamiya acrylic separates in the bottle very quickly and needs a really industrial mix to get it back together. It also benefits from thinning with their thinner or some water, or some Klear, Future, Quick Shine if you are brush painting as this will slow the drying time out from about 5 milliseconds to something more useable!

Sonds to me like you might have been brushing the un-stirred paint.

Give us a bit more info mate on how you mixed it etc

Cheers

jonners

Ah, well I didnt mix it to that extent, just gave it a shake for a few minutes, I'll try again and report back :)

James

Tried mixing it a lot, now just feel stupid :P Much better :P

What can I use as a liquid retarder and how much klear or water should I add?

Thanks,

James

Other tips:

As with all acrylics, the surface you're painting on should be primed first (otherwise the paint will have problems attaching to the plastic).

As mentioned, it's best-used thinned; the Tamiya thinner (X-20) is generally fine, but for hand-brushing you get better results with Gunze "Mr Color" thinner, which is lacquer-based and gives the paint "bite". If you can get it, Gunze "Mr Levelling Thinner" is even better, as it includes a retarding agent.

In general, however, Tamiya acrylics are not the best for hand-brushing. Most other brands are more "friendly" in this respect (I prefer LifeColor myself).