Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Repaint'.
Okay, this needs some explaining to do. This B767 Zvezda was the first 'conscious life' kit, bought 10 years ago. Back then I had very little idea about the whole hobby industry size and put it together 100% out of the box. Probably skipped a lot of tiny details. During the recent shelf revision I took a closer look and it was painful to watch. While the principal assembly was okay there were gaps everywhere (no putty at all), the tailfin was split and wouldn't stick together even when I managed to cut it all open (thanks to a poor Zvezda glue), the KLM livery was all over the shop, I even question myself if I was on drugs at that time (probably, not), the paintjob was terrible. So she couldn't be on a display but I either felt bad thinking about throwing her away. A decision was made to do a salvage job as good as I can. I scraped all the paint off, filled all the gaps. Restored couple of spoilers, rebuilt half of the tailfin, made some antennas, that's as far as my skill goes. Then I've got British Airways livery from Ascensio (highly recommended if you'll ever come across it) and technical details sheet from Pas-decals. I had a long big doubt about the beautiful Ireland livery so I went on with the standard one (Chapham, I think?) Some mistakes I couldn't undo, I believe the MLG doors were mixed up and the engines are GE instead of RR of course which is a shame, but I decided to let it go. Also it lacks the nose ballast so it's tail heavy as expected Repainting was quite a painful job, took like A LOT of tape masking. There she goes in her second 'airline'. I'm quite satisfied with the result. The only photo I could found of the old look which kinda hides most of the issues in the depth of field. That nice take-off look!
*** This is not GB entry, I thought I would pop it here to be with all its friends :D. My actual entry will be started shortly I got this model about 6 years ago. It was one of the original promotional desktop models given out by General Dynamics at the beginning of the F-111C program (I believe). I had been damaged and repaired by the owner and then passed on to an ACTSMS members to repair the repairs. I was told the owner passed away and the model no longer had a home. I was offered the model so I grabbed it to refurbish it. So I eagerly started to refurbish it Then in my usual way I had issues with the repaint and put it aside for about 5 years. So I masked up the base coat and got back into it The stand was repaired as well and repainted Masking removed. And now it is re-decalled, I used the Southern Sky 'Final F-111 Scheme 2010 ' sheet for this. I just need to repair a broken intake splitter plate and seal the decals and it will be finished
This is a Revell easy kit on sale for half price due to a crushed box. I would love to say it went together easy but it didn't. Since all the parts were pre-painted great care was taken trying to "snap-fit" pose-able joints. Paint had to be carefully scrubbed off in most places and I finally gave up the chase and went for a full re-paint. All the open socket/joints were filled with milliput and smoothed over, an allen key was pressed into the centres just to tart them up a bit. The pilot is some kind of vinyl with some noticable seams, could'nt do much about it, even with brand new blades, so a new paint job was as much as I could do. The base was from an old toilet roll holder and a bit of polyfilla and a very light blue wash. I also added a little bit of scenics water resin.