Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Revell Germany'.
Found 4 results
#11/2017 Daddy has built the next big one from his to-do list. Because there are a lot of D-Day striped Dakota models out there, I convinced him to do a PTO aircraft. Revell Germany kit (Berlin airlift) with North Star Models decals. They came without US insignias (and the kit only included post-war ones), took them from a Monogram B-24 kit. The kit shows it´s age, the moulds are from the same year as I , fit, especially the windscreen and landing light covers aren´t good, moulding quality is mostly still ok. Regarding the windscreen, as mentioned bad fit and tricky to install, my dad decided to cut away the bigger side windows and use some clear plastic pieces to display open windows. Added brake lines with lead wire, aerials are done with elastic thread/EZ Line. Painted with Gunze and Tamiya acrylics. The model shows an a/c of 55th TCS, 375th TCG in 1944 in the PTO.
Reini78 posted a topic in Ready for Inspection - Aircraft#6/2017 The beast is done! My dad´s newest addition to our homeland collection. In 1937 the Austrian Airforce bought three Ju52, one was used as a staff aircraft and for instrument flight training (OE-HKA) and the other two as nightbombers (36 and 37). In March 1938 they became German property again... Didn´t knew that much about the Ju52 versions before that build. Thought with the ProModeler kit it would be an easy OOB thing because the kit includes the additional bomber parts, to say the belly gunner basket and the main wheel covers. Then we found out that the bomber was a "g3e" version with no cargo doors on roof and starboard side. But the Revell/ProModeler military kits depict a "g4e" version. Luckily I relized that the Revell civil version had the correct fuselage side parts, so I spent some extra money on one of the airliner kits. The fuselage side walls from the civil kit and the rest from the military kit fit together well. Regarding the roof cargo door my dad filled the rivets with Gunze Dissolved Putty, it didn´t disappear completely but with the camo you can hardly see it. The exact colour tones of the camo aren´t known, most probably very close to RLM 61/62/63. My dad used, as usual, Gunze and Tamiya acrylics, EZ Line for wiring. Roundels from IPMS Austria, number decals from Fantasy Printshop. BTW, the little white spots that look like dust, they are remnants of Tamiya XF-86 clear flat, the first time my dad had troubles with this paint. Hope you like it
After battling with various vacform builds and getting a little bogged down with endless scratch-building etc. I fancied building something 'out of the box', and after treating myself to this a few months back I decided it was just what I needed for a 'refresh'. This is the first large scale Luftwaffe aircraft I have built, and although not usually my topic of choice, having seen the real thing in Washington last year I fell in love with the 'ugliness' of this aircraft and the sinister look it possesses. This kit has been built 'as it comes' from Revell, and I must say it has been a very enjoyable and trouble free build. It has taken about two weeks from start to finish. The mouldings are beautiful, with very fine panel detail and plenty of internal detail too, including individual decals for the flight instruments. I have made no additions to this kit, apart from some seat-belt buckles from the spares box - a closed canopy and careful painting has been sufficient to represent the seat-belts. I did also modify the undercarriage slightly as it Revell have produced the gear as un-weighted, so I shortened the oleos by 2mm on the mains and 3mm on the nose and re-attached them after drilling them and adding some wire. This has captured the sit of real aircraft well I think. I found the fit of the parts excellent on the whole, with only a small bit of filling needed where the nacelles join the wing just forward of the leading edge. Everything else literally falls together. The radar aerials are very finely moulded and although there are aftermarket replacements available, I didn't see the need. Decals were equally superb, going on without issue - even the spinner decals! I raided the spares box for the tail fin swastikas, but other than that it's as they come. Painting was completed with Xtracolour enamels from Hannants using a Badger 200 airbrush. I sprayed the RLM76 as a base coat, then added 'blotches' of the darker RLM75. These were then blended together with a further application of RLM76 between the blotches to achieve the lattice-like pattern of the camouflage. The undersides were then sprayed 'Night black'. Finally, a couple of coats of Humbrol Matt varnish finished the job. I haven't seen many of these built with the black undersides yet; I think it adds to the overall 'sinister effect' of the aircraft. One word of warning with this kit though - add as much nose weight as possible! Revell suggest 70g in the nose and 25g in each engine nacelle - I added approx. 80g in the front and 30g to each engine and it only just sits on it's nose wheel... be warned! On to the photo's: Heinkel He219A-2 of 1./NJG 1, Sylt, Germany, April 1945. (Yes I know - I need to paint the 'flat spots' on the tyres! My advice: if you haven't got this kit yet then buy it, and if you have it in your stash then build it! Tom