RAF Canadair Sabre F.4

Hi all.

I've found myself dragging out the recent 1/48 Airfix Sabre F.4 with the dim hope of a CA-27 Sabre being released by a mainstream manufacturer...though I might be barking up the wrong tree there.

The kit has already been reviewed here and elsewhere so I won't be reviewing anything but I'll makes some observations on the build so far.

It's fully optioned to give you everything that opens and closes bar the flaps, though that wouldn't be an onerous job to do. I've opted for the canopy and airbrakes open and that left me the fun job of fitting the gun bay panels. Mine don't sit flush with the fuselage surface which correlates with a few builds I've seen online. I've prioritised a good fit on three corners which has left one corner sitting recessed. I've have an inkling that this might have to do with a slight warp in the fuselage plastic...did someone say Buccaneer! (no, not that bad). I would have preferred to have it sit proud as it's easier to take material away rather than add material to have it sit flush. Old school sprue glue was applied in two sessions with a bout of sanding between each. The results are fine and the next part will be checking with primer and then reinstating the panel edges and access latches.

IMG20221015150002-01.jpg

I removed the gusset from around the gun bay steps as the fit is much better when they were removed 

The intake lips and tunnel align well and the same treatment of sprue glue was used to erase the seam. Some sanding 48 hours later and all was sorted.

IMG20221015145248-01.jpg

The exhaust tube is fine though devoid of any internal details. A note here though, the tube is handed. The rear rib that prevents it from wobbling about has a lobe on it that needs to be at the top. Do this and you'll get a snug fit.

IMG20221015153527-01.jpg

IMG20221015153505-01.jpg

IMG20221016184657-01.jpg

The main gear legs are nothing spectacular and there is an error on them, likely from when they studied the subject. Between each of the torque links there is some sort of strut that would prevent the gear compressing. No doubt from a museum piece that they don't want sitting on pressurised gear legs. They're present on both sides of the gear legs for both sides.

IMG20221015150524-01.jpg

And I've bagged up the undercarriage parts so I know what part belongs to what side.

IMG20221015145605-01.jpg

The 6x .50 cal guns have been drilled out.

IMG20221015145543-01.jpg

IMG20221015145550-01.jpg

There are a few scoops and panels inserts that need to be addressed on the. With some attention paid at the clean-up stage they fit snuggly.

IMG20221015172354-01.jpg

IMG20221015172431-01.jpg

The wings a clever assembly as the upper and lowers are designed to follow panel lines rather that a seam on the leading and trailing edge. The wing tips are separate pieces which no doubt are designed for the longer F40 winged kit that's on the way. A bit of filler is needed to fill the sink marks...no idea why they'd be in this location.

IMG20221015172111-01.jpg

So will all of this work construction of the fuselage is progressing though it's going to have to be in parts due to the slight warp that's in my fuselage pieces.

At the moment the cockpit tub/nose wheel well has been glued at the seam behind the intake and the frame at the front of the cockpit tub. Next will be the rear peg that holds the compressor face to the left side of the fuselage and the edge that attaches the rear turtle deck to the fuselage. This will leave the cockpit tub secure so I can proceed with attaching the right side.

IMG20221016184418-01.jpg

IMG20221016184350-01.jpg

IMG20221016184403-01.jpg

There have been a few other items completed such as the drop tanks but this is enough for an update.

Until the next one, thanks for stopping by.

Mick

• Like 2