1/48 Academy mig 21PF Vietnam

looks great, hopefully the canopy is not fixed yet so you can get the seat in!

If you used Model Air do you mind me asking how?

I have tried with these paints and after around 30 seconds I get masses of paint on the airbrush nozzle, once I clear that the airbrush is blocked. I can say after four attempts I have sprayed absolutely nothing at all and am on the verge of giving up.

As you obviously can get them to work can I ask what ratio you used paint to thinner, what sort of thinner (I have read water works and am trying to avoid buying yet another thinner if possible) and what sort of pressure/needle size you use?

Sorry as these questions probably better put in another forum, but you did mention model air s thought I'd ask you before I throw the stuff away!

Cheers,

Pete

looks great, hopefully the canopy is not fixed yet so you can get the seat in!

If you used Model Air do you mind me asking how?

I have tried with these paints and after around 30 seconds I get masses of paint on the airbrush nozzle, once I clear that the airbrush is blocked. I can say after four attempts I have sprayed absolutely nothing at all and am on the verge of giving up.

As you obviously can get them to work can I ask what ratio you used paint to thinner, what sort of thinner (I have read water works and am trying to avoid buying yet another thinner if possible) and what sort of pressure/needle size you use?

Sorry as these questions probably better put in another forum, but you did mention model air s thought I'd ask you before I throw the stuff away!

Cheers,

Pete

Pete

As you probably know model air[black cap] is supposed to be already thinned for airbrush use.In general it is but i too occasionally put in the brand thinners just a touch.I prime with a 0.4 needle set to get a wet even finish and generally use a 0.2 needle for everything else.This was painted with the metaliser type model air which is very thin so turn down the pressure to about 15psi bot my normal pressure is around 20=25 psi.

Glyn

Pete

I also get clogging sometimes so you arn't the only one.Don't give up.I think different colours act differently.Try to keep the airbrush moving if possible as i think stop starting don't help.

Glyn

Pete

As you probably know model air[black cap] is supposed to be already thinned for airbrush use.In general it is but i too occasionally put in the brand thinners just a touch.I prime with a 0.4 needle set to get a wet even finish and generally use a 0.2 needle for everything else.This was painted with the metaliser type model air which is very thin so turn down the pressure to about 15psi bot my normal pressure is around 20=25 psi.

Glyn

thanks for the reply Glyn.

I'm trying to spray one specific colour, Model Air 71.082 Fluorescent Red to get Day-glo drop tanks as detailed here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234993900-day-glow-orange-for-drop-tanks-on-an-f-84f/

and was advised not to thin the paint, but after getting waves of paint I try to dry it off with air only to get more paint because the air is spraying the excess paint on the nozzle, and once I clear that paint the airbrush blocks up.

I will try to lower the pressure to 15 psi and may even try with a 0.4 needle/nozzle to see if that doesn't block the airbrush up, but as I have none of their thinner I will leave the paint un-thinned.

Again thanks for the advice and congratulations on a terrific Mig-21!

Pete

Pete

I read some of your thread but did not see anyone advise using a white base coat.Yes i do believe the flouro orange to be a bit thin.Lower pressure for sure and as it is a separate part try the bigger needle set if you have one.Thin multi layers.

Glyn

on advice from 'Silver Fox' who did a Folland Gnat with Day-Glo panels I didn't use a white base as he said it took him ten coats of the Model Air over a white base to get a good finish, so I have used a generic 'Orange' as a base, in this case Tamiya X-6 and if I can't get the Model Air to work the tanks are staying as Tamiya X-6! :)

Pete