A trip to the Dentists Office

Hawkeye's Hobbies

I posted this up to my blog, but I thought you might find it interesting too.

It's Burrriffic!

Yes the temperatures outside are cold and the winds are howling…Brrrr! But I have a different kind of Bur in mind for todays topic. No not Raymond Burr…aka Ironsides or Perry Mason, but the little tools dentist use to grind at your teeth with.

Dental burs are useful for shaping and grinding plastic in our modeling efforts. I use them with my Dremel tool or in some circumstances I’ll roll them between my fingers or even install them into a pin vise.

A dentist I know was ‘upgrading’ to newer equipment and finally decided (listened to his hygientist) it was time to clean the tool closet out to free up space. In the process the tools that could not be used with the ‘new’ equipment were going to be disposed…I fortunately got the first call and I scored them all…for free. Some are very very old, many unopened and possibly been around since the first owner of the clinic…maybe 40 years or so?

burrscore1.jpg

dentalburrassort.jpg

So the next time you visit your dentist…ask: “What’s in your closet?” Who knows maybe you’ll score tools at a great deal too!I