Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'RAF B-17'.
Found 1 result
Here's my entry over on the B-17 STGB. Based on the academy B-17E Boxing to obtain the correct nose side glazing, realised I had to add an astrodome as well. 'Kitsworld' decals were used, but I did a bit of research and came up with photo's showing 'Hettie' with no upper turret and upper scheme extending over the cowlings, also a different spacing and layout of the Codes. It also seems as if the leading edges of the main-wings/tail weren't black. Anyway, this is my interpretation and I'm sticking to it! The decals, by the way, went on really well and reacted well to Micro Set/Sol. Paint was Ultimate White Primer, then Vallejo ModelAir RLM21 white. Xtracrylics were used for the EDSG/Dark Slate Grey upperworks. The excessive main-wing dihedral was an easy fix with 15 thou plasticard shimming, attaching the bottom halves first there was no gap on the bottom, just the top to fill in a bit. I didn't improve or correct the air/oil cooler intakes, apologies to the B-17 Buffs out there. I used QuickBoost cowlings and engines, not sure if the cowlings were much better than the kit parts, but the engines looked better. As I ruined the Pavla Vacformed nose piece I had, which fitted not to bad, I ended up using a nose glazing out of the Revell kit, which isn't the same shape towards the bottom, but it'll do until I come up with something else, or fair-in the academy nose to suit! These close ups show loads of faults! When using a toothpick to clean up the paint leakage onto the windows the rear most one was pushed in, so I just left it! I may obtain some crystal clear and try that next time. As usual (for me!) a bit rushed at the end due to my impatience, but I'm overall fairly pleased with the result and in terms of hours wasn't a long build, just felt like it! Comments and Critique welcome. Davey.