Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Smol'.
Hi folks, I managed to get the missing missiles primed and painted at the weekend so was able to finish off these artillery pieces today. They're "Epic Scale" (6mm-ish) white metal kits from Games Workshop in the '90s, from sealed blisters I picked up on our local auction site. A bit of a learning curve to clean up and assemble the metals, but with a thin coat of etch primer and two of Tamiya lacquer primer I haven't had any problems with paint adhesion. They're airbrushed with Tamiya lacquers and then everything else is brush painted with acrylics including the weathering. I guess I did use a bit of graphite powder as well. The siege mortars are Colossus Bombards (I think) and the rocket artillery are Manticores. I replaced the metal rockets (which were OK) with some brand new plastic Manticore rockets from the Aeronautica Imperialis ground targets sprue. They fit the rails nicely and I can find something else for the static launchers when I get to building them. I lettered one of the nosecones T.F.U.2 in honour of one of the best episodes of Spaced The mortars are out of the box. I think they came out quite well and I've got my eyes open for e.g. Leman Russ tanks or similar. I have an older Hellbore tunnelling machine, which I've started to clean up and then I realised it was lead and I should be a bit more careful about how and where I did that... It's not as sharp as the tanks but it's very cool and I will get to it in due course, probably with a few extra details. NB: For sizing, they're on 40mm bases, from memory the Chimera chassis are about an inch long but the dozer blades and other bits overhang to the point where they really didn't fit on a 32mm base. Cheers and thanks for looking! Will
Hi all, Someone on here asked me ages ago if I was going to try doing some 40K armour, and I'm finally catching up with that idea. Except that these tanks (OK, artillery pieces) are Epic Scale. That means '90s white metal castings in something like 1/220 - 1/250 scale. So with a nod to Tiny Toon Adventures ("We're tiny, we're tanky, we're cast a little manky..,") here are some Epic 40K artillery pieces I picked up (in sealed blisters!) on our local eBay-clone: Straight from the '90s, they are. But cleaned up with a file and scouring pad and assembled with superglue, they look quite good if you don't look too closely - lots of detail but they are rather bent and distorted in places. One of mine had really nicely cast tracks, and all the others had a bit of flash and distortion through the track blocks which was a bit of a shame. They're based on the Imperial Guard Chimera APC chassis, as in 40K there are loads of things which use that particular base. I've actually built one (the Hydra) but never painted or photographed it, I'll fix that so you can see how the scaling down has been handled. It's quite close in scale to the plastic Adeptus Titanicus kits, maybe 5% too small? Surprisingly it looks like they'll need 40mm bases just like the plastic knights. With a coat of etch primer, some more clean up and then two coats of Tamiya red lacquer primer they ended up like this: The ones with rocket racks are Manticores, and the others are Bombards. There are metal rockets supplied for the Manticores but they're a bit clunky and I wonder if I I can find some plastic aircraft missiles to use instead? They might also be less prone to falling off! Since then I've given them a thin coat of decanted Desert Sand, shaded with Alclad Sepia and highlighted with Deck Tan and a mix of that and white. I washed everything with a 2:1 mix of Contrast medium and Skeleton Horde to get some richness back as the highlights were quite pale. I'm currently painting details and adding more contrast, of which more soon. I also need to scrounge up some 40mm bases as I think metal models particularly need to be based to reduce scuffing. Cheers, Will
Hi all, As teased in the other thread, I finished off the Tiger Sharks which are the bigger T'au planes - more bomber than fighter. I wasn't totally sold on the finish on the Barracudas I did first - the enamel always makes things a bit messy and sticky and then it's hard to get rid of every last piece of fluff. I thought I'd take advantage of the big panel lines and use acrylics this time round. It turns out that you can get quite nice soft effects around features by pre-wetting the area with medium and then wicking the paint into the detail. And because the original paint was lacquer (and sealed with Klear) I could use a wet cocktail stick when I needed to clean up. I need to take some pics of the whole flight, but before I do that I'll try and fix the silvering on the small triangular decals, and clean up a blotch I noticed. One of them has an open missile bay with red-edges doors like a proper plane Thanks for looking! Will