Winsor and Newton Artisan Oils for gunk wash ?

wildman

I have finally given up on trying to get hold of the Mig starship filth oil and after some reading saw that you can effectively home brew your own using a mix of burnt umber and paynes grey oils. So I went off to my local store and picked up Winsor and Newtown tubes of each but then when I got home noticed they are from the artisan range which can actually be cleaned and mixed with water or a special artisan medium rather than the traditional linseed oil. 

So now I am not sure if they will work in the same way as normal oils ? Does anyone have any experience of water soluble oils ? I assume that the reason you can use them as these washes is the fact that they have long drying times so you can effectively slap it on really thick and then with a cloth wipe it off so that the wash/paint only stays in the recesses / areas where you want the highlights. From reading up on these artisan water soluble oils they would appear to share the same properties as traditional linseed based oils in that they still have protracted drying times. So would it then be safe to assume they would work in exactly the same way if I made up an oil wash, coated the model and then used a cloth to wipe off excess.

Guess I am looking for some reassurance on this before I start slapping it down on my C3PO, R2 and BSG models later this month :)