Messerschmitt Bf 109F-6/U 'Galland Special'

AnonymousAA74

Messerschmitt Bf 109F-6/U ‘Galland Special’

1:32 Hasegawa

boxtop.JPG

Recent times have been something of a ‘Golden Age’ for Bf 109 fanatics, with releases from Eduard, Dragon and Hasegawa. This new release from Hasegawa, the F-6/U ‘Galland Special’ takes their recent Friedrich moulds and, with a few minor parts variations, allows us to build one of two machines flown by the legendary Adolf Galland. I think I may be correct in stating that the F-6/U variant is a slight anomaly, especially with regard to Adolf Galland. The ‘U’ portion of the designation stands for ‘Umbausatz’, which simply means that it is a ‘factory special’. The ‘F-6’ designation would usually mean that this would be a reconnaissance machine, but the lack of any camera equipment would seem to blow that out of the water. In short, Adolf Galland was presented with these two machines, which would appear to be F-2’s, by Hermann Göring, to commemorate Herr Galland’s ascendancy to Inspector General of Fighters, following the death of Werner Mölders. Both fighters were identical in finish and varied only in armament. One machine had fixed wing armament of 2 x 20mm MGFF cannon in addition to its usual fuselage mounted guns, and the second machine, unusually, had 2 x MG131’s mounted in the fuselage. This necessitated a change in the shape of the gun troughs. No wing guns were carried on this machine. So what of the F-6/U designation? To be honest, I don’t know!

This release comes in the now familiar styled, sturdy, top-opening box with a superb artwork showing the MG131-fitted machine in flight. The box also indicates that this is a ‘Limited Edition’. Again, opening the box, I disappointingly find that the sprues aren’t individually bagged. I really wish Hasegawa would take on board this criticism that I have heard so many modellers mention. More Bags = no scuffs. Simples. Again, the Gods of Plastic have seen fit to deliver this kit with no such damage, so all is well.

sprue1.JPG

sprue2.JPG

Moulded in Hasegawa’s now familiar medium grey styrene, the ‘Galland Special’ is moulded across 12 sprues, with two clear sprues, and one sprue of black flexible polythene which contains the securing caps (only one needed for the prop though). A small packet of photo etch parts are included which form the fuselage – tail stiffeners. These parts are individual, and not on a fret, so no clean-up is required. They are also secured onto a piece of stiff card to protect them. The instructions in this kit do clearly show which parts aren’t to be used on this version, by having them greyed-out on the sprue plan.

Looking at the fuselage first, you’ll notice that the rudder is integral. The rib and tape effect of the rudder is superb, and the hinges/plates well defined, although I would usually like to have the rudder separate so I can pose it as I wish. The exterior of the 109 fuselage is also quite sublime. Crisply engraved panel lines which look excellent to the eye, as well as finely represented access/filler panels and ports equal this. My 109 reference shows everything to be in just the right place, so no filling and rescribing needed here! The fuselage interior detail is also well moulded, but we do have a series of ejector pin marks that will need to be removed. Luckily, I think most of the locations are covered by sidewall detail parts.

sprue3.JPG

sprue4.JPG

The cockpit itself is excellent, and Hasegawa did make this accurate, and simply not mimic their previous ‘G’ kits, whose cockpits were different on the actual machines. This is one of the reasons why I like Hasegawa; their research and detail. Hasegawa have done a great job with the cockpit equipment, with some fine detail, and the instrument panel is excellent. The instruments themselves have the detail moulded into their faces, and the definition is very good, so this should be a breeze to paint. You also get a decal for this area, which is also very well defined and printed. You should cut the instruments out from the carries film though as I doubt that the one piece decal would snugly sit over deep detail relief. I do think the seat looks a little odd in shape, so I would perhaps check your references for this. If this is indeed right, then at least you are advised to use the single part seat, and not the awful 2 part one which left a seam running through the middle of it!

sprue6.JPG

ip.JPG

The wing sprue is a remnant of the previous ‘Gustav’ releases, but you can immediately tell that great pains have been gone to, to ensure that the new fuselage is an exact match. You may have to check your references for any variation in panel lines between the F and G variants, and retro-amend if necessary. Recent discussion has suggested that the ‘F’ had more or less a ‘one piece’ upper wing skin. Again, check your references. Wheel well detail is good, with kidney shaped inserts being given to fill the dimples that the ‘F’ didn’t have. Whilst the landing flaps are separate, the ailerons, again, are integrally moulded, and display the same excellent level of detail as the new fuselage rudder and stabilisers. With regard to the latter, these are also moulded with integral control surfaces, but the detail is every bit as good as the wing and fuselage.

sprue5.JPG

Hasegawa have moulded the upper engine cowl and port side cowl as separate parts, in order to squeeze as many variants from the same moulds, and so maximise their own returns. As you can no doubt fathom from the opening paragraphs, there are two different upper cowls. The first of these is the regular cowl, but the other is presented on a small sprue intended for this release only, Sprue Q. The new upper cowl has more angular gun channels with a flat bottom. Gun blisters are also included for the fuselage. New Sprue R, contains wing blisters for the second Galland machine, carrying wing mounted guns. Where gun barrels are supplied, they are well represented, with a reasonably thin tapered end, but I would perhaps look at a set of brass replacements.

parts.JPG

The newly revised ‘F’ spinner is also represented accurately too. Having shaped prop-entry points instead of the squared off openings, this should mean there’s no need for an aftermarket solution. Exhaust stubs are individually moulded, but lack any real depth to the outlet. Exercise caution in trying to open these up. The undercarriage legs are moulded with an integral brake line. While this actually does look good, I would look at removing it and replacing with wire. The wheels aren’t supplied weighted, which is a little disappointing, but I would also look at using some aftermarket solution here.

Over the whole range of grey sprues, nothing in the way of flash can be found. Sink marks are zero, and where seams do occur, a quick flick with a knife and sanding stick, and they will be banished forever. Moulding is about as good as it gets, so no complaints anywhere with regard to quality.

The two clear sprues contain 4 forward canopies, despite the sprue plan showing only 3. Having said that, you’ll only use part 3 anyway, so you’ll have some bits for your spares box. A single hood and rear canopy is given, and although there are parts for an armoured windscreen, you’ll not use it on here. Moulding quality really is exceptional, with everything being crystal clear. Frame lines are well defined and should be a cinch to mask. No flash can be seen anywhere.

sprue7.JPG

Hasegawa’s instructions are atypical, with clear line drawings and fifteen constructional stages. Sub-drawings are given where appropriate as to remove any ambiguity during assembly. The two machines have an identical scheme, and both are shown in black and white form on the instruction sheet. The schemes are both for Adolf Galland, Oberstleutnant, JG26, France 1941. Colour reference is given with GSO Creos and Mr Color paint codes. For comparative codes for different manufacturers, use THIS excellent resource.

A single decal sheet is included which gives the single scheme for both machines, plus a multitude of stencils. The yellow rudder is included as a decal, but I’d simply paint that part for more realism. The instrument panel decal is here, as mentioned, and a pretty POOR seatbelt decal is given, but I think that must be Hasegawa’s humour showing through. Get yourself a set of RB Production seatbelts for this as it really deserves to have them installed. The decals are actually quite thin, with solid and authentic colour throughout. Carrier film is minimal and printing is in perfect register. Swastikas are even included. You can’t ask for more!

decals.JPG

Conclusion

This is yet another excellent release from Hasegawa. I really never tire of seeing the different 109 releases from this company, and despite having a large(ish) price tag, you really can do no better than treat yourself to one of these great kits if you even only remotely like the Bf 109. Recommended? Absolutely!

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.jpg