Airfix Vulcan

cjhm

Having created an unintended furore with my critique of the Airfix Vulcan, thought it would be good to show work as my model progresses.

This is the XH558 VTTS release and model will be built using kits decals to represent the Vulcan in current colours.

Plan so far is to build as follows:

- Reduce\remove moulded panel lines, I’m not going for re-scribing as think she should be smooth in this scale

- Remove nose raydome, delete rear ECM vent and fill mounting holes

- Extend exhausts using tube and filler

Here are some pictures after main parts have been assembled, as I work on filling\sanding the rear fuselage section joint which is main fit issue at the moment

v2.jpg

v1.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Nice. Another kit I've never built. I read an interesting article in either Flypast or Aeroplane recently of a Vulcan with a desert camo underside with normal grey / green top side that was used in the red flag exercise. This would be an interesting scheme that I fancy doing.

as a vulcan fan and having built this kit over 14 times now i will be watching, looks great so far. if you havent done one of these before i recoment using pva glue for the window masking using a cock tail stick, has worked a treat on my vulcans. just finished my frog one will post soon as i have taken the photos. i think im gonna build another airfix one soon and its going to be a prototype one. cup of tea now i thinks. and back to the bench to finish the valiant

Back some time ago in the mid/late 70s' while on a spotting/photo visit to the 'Hall, the underside desert camo Vulcan overflew after, what I presumed was a departure from maybe Honington. I never did find out the serial but know it now not that that matters as I don't 'number crunch' any more. I have to say it was a very strange sight at the time and while gazing at it never thought of getting a picture!!

Back some time ago in the mid/late 70s' while on a spotting/photo visit to the 'Hall, the underside desert camo Vulcan overflew after, what I presumed was a departure from maybe Honington. I never did find out the serial but know it now not that that matters as I don't 'number crunch' any more. I have to say it was a very strange sight at the time and while gazing at it never thought of getting a picture!!

lucky you..! wish i had seen xm607 when she was painted like that. next time they need to repaint her they should give that scheme back to her to seperate her from the remaining 4 of 5 black buck vulcans. ive only ever seen one photo of her painted like that i would love to see others if anyone has any to share

lucky you..! wish i had seen xm607 when she was painted like that. next time they need to repaint her they should give that scheme back to her to seperate her from the remaining 4 of 5 black buck vulcans. ive only ever seen one photo of her painted like that i would love to see others if anyone has any to share

OK, cut up an old 10mm diameter pen into 20mm sections and chamfered the ends with a countersink bit mounted in electric screwriver

Glued these in place with polyweld and waiting to set. Will add milliput when tube sections are dry (Still working on other filling\sanding\cleanup)

v3.jpgv4.jpg

This is coming along beautifully

I'm not a fan of over-used panel lining myself, some you see on 1/72 scale aircraft would be two or three inches wide if magnified by 72 times

far better smooth and understated

You have made a great start

i agree none of my vulcans are rescribed mainly because ive never done it i do like the look but whenever i look at vulcans you can hardly see any panel lines, on b2s at least, when b1s were filthy underneath they were more obvious

i recoment using pva glue for the window masking using a cock tail stick, has worked a treat on my vulcans.

Thanks for the advice, presume you noticed the dirty window under the nose? I sealed the part with quickshine then super glued it in, the outside was sealed with maskol after that pic but the dirt seems to be wet sanding residue on the inside, looks like I might be able to clean it though the cockpit opening with a long bendy something!

- Reduce\remove moulded panel lines, I’m not going for re-scribing as think she should be smooth in this scale

-

I with you on that one. In 1/72 scale panel line swould be almost indiscernable. If I wanted to do some panel lines, I've used a mechanical pencil and drawn them on. Once done, I spray a coat of varnish to get rid of the sheen the graphite has.

Right, basic shape of jet pipes coming along, wings and tail added, filler ongoing ...

Pics show model after good wet sanding session ouside, light is failing so they are a bit dull

v0110_1.jpg

v0110_2.jpg

v0110_3.jpg

Nothing to show picture wise but filling\sanding ongoing

Just cleaned up undercarriage, 16 main and 2 nose wheels, flash and heavy mould lines on all of them

Edited by cjhm

After the weekends mamoth wet sanding fest a few patches needed further attention

Main fit issues were underneath, few remaining minor tweaks needed with filler\sanding then I think a coat of primer is in order

v0410_1.jpg

I am glad it's not just me that doesn't think that panel lines should be enhanced.

Many years ago one of the mags. was building the tanker Vulcan. The modeller stated that 'I remove all panel lines these days', and in the photo the finished kit look so real.

I think that models with prominent, or even visible panel lines look like toys.

I have just refurbished a Matchbox Victor that I made when they first came out.

I converted it from a K2 to a B2R when the Vulcan came out to give me a Blue Steel, and have now totally refinished it and lowered the undercarriage.

As you can imagine there is not much left in the way of panel lines with all the layers of paint, and it looks really good.

I will follow your build with interest, as I will no doubt be building another Vulcan shortly, now that I have got the modelling bug back.

I am glad it's not just me that doesn't think that panel lines should be enhanced.

Many years ago one of the mags. was building the tanker Vulcan. The modeller stated that 'I remove all panel lines these days', and in the photo the finished kit look so real.

I think that models with prominent, or even visible panel lines look like toys.

I have just refurbished a Matchbox Victor that I made when they first came out.

I converted it from a K2 to a B2R when the Vulcan came out to give me a Blue Steel, and have now totally refinished it and lowered the undercarriage.

As you can imagine there is not much left in the way of panel lines with all the layers of paint, and it looks really good.

I will follow your build with interest, as I will no doubt be building another Vulcan shortly, now that I have got the modelling bug back.

absolutly pannel lines are fun to stain and i do like them and on some models it looks right but a vulcan you just cant see them very often unless your face planting on it. im gonna build another soon of xm655 i think

Finished main fuselage preparation and applied some primer (Simoniz grey rattle can)

This has highlighted some minor defects I missed so hopefully only one round of filling\sanding to go then I can apply main Medium Sea Grey

Odd round shapes on upper wing are 'shadows' caused by overspray when model was upside down balanced on some spray can lids and should sand out easily

v0810_1.jpg

v0810_2.jpg

Edited by cjhm

This is beginning to look magnificent instead of merely epic :)

all coming together well, I'm getting Vulcan urges again after so long since my last one

nice

doesn't quite describe it ;)

Edited by perdu