1/72 Academy P-40B/C

OK guys, tired of waiting for paint for my hellcat build, i have decided to get in the game with a quick P-40 build!

Let's take a look at the insides and see what we have:

p40day11.jpg

Sprue shots:

p40day13.jpg

p40day12.jpg

p40day14.jpg

The decals are after market i bought off a guy in england:

p40day16.jpg

Edited by Chris FFZ

First order of business is to paint the visable interior areas green, as was standard on US aircraft in WWII.

p40day17.jpg

next, the instrament panel is painted green with black gauges

p40day18.jpg

Finally Lt Welsh is painted

p40day19.jpg

More next time...

Everyone uses that joke Mish, as I always use menus for placemats!

Today's update;

The cockpit is assembled and the pilot added

day2.jpg

The prop is prepainted and assembled

day21.jpg

Next the holes for the drop tank are filled, won't be using that for this project.

day22.jpg

day23.jpg

While that dries the furselage is joined and checked for gaps, none noticed

day24.jpg

The wings are assembled and attached to the fuselage, a jig of tape is used to get the correct angle on them.

day25.jpg

More next time.

Looking forward to seeing this one done, we saw one of these at the Omaka airshow near here at Easter this year, superb restoration & I'd love to model one of them in these colours. Kinda hoping Airfix might bring theirs out with these markings.

Steve.

Today's update;

The front air scoop hole is cut out, and the plane is preped for painting.

day3.jpg

The lower half is painted standard navy gray which is a good color for US army aircraft.

day31.jpg

The upper half is done in tamiya US army olive drab, and when dry the plan is sprayed with gloss cote for decaling and set aside to dry.

day32.jpg

Today's update;

Now that she is all glossed up and dried, the decals are applied.

day4.jpg

day41.jpg

These are then sprayed again with more gloss cote and allowed to dry over night.

next vallejo matt finish is brushed on The plane, and the first black wash is made to start bringing out details as well as making exhaust and gun trails.

day43.jpg

day42.jpg

While that was drying The canopy was painted first with green enamal (since i know from experience that acrylics don't apply well to clear) and the canopy and side panels are attached using elmer's white glue.

day44.jpg

day45.jpg

Over the next few hours I added concentric washes to give a layered look to the black highlighting, one about every 20 minutes or so, allowing the arcyllic black to dry and then doing it again, wiping away excess that didn't look right.

The project at this point is complete, only the finished photos are needed.

Thanks, i can usually bang out a kit in a week, these small ones even faster.

It all really depends on how much i like the subject and if there are problems like having to repaint things or messing up decals and the like.

That old academy kit isn't great, the canopy is highly suspect for example, but its not bad, and its fun to make!

I have a number of cool projects for the pacific war, believe it or not I'm STILL waiting for the paint for the hellcat (Hint: Pay the extra postage fro faster delivery!) and i just picked up an 1/48 oscar. The Hellcat is definetly on, the oscar and geroge are maybes for this, and I just picked up a revell PT 109 to make for the new revell forum but I could have it as part of this build also!

So many kits..so little time...

• 2 weeks later...