1/48 Trumpeter P-40B Warhawk - Pearl Harbour

Hi

Forgot that I'd even signed up for this GB, think i said I would be doing a ship, but plans have changed.

Got this Trumpeter P-40B and couldn't wait to start it. I will be building this OOB with the exception of the markings, I wanted to build a War hawk that was at Pearl Harbour. I have bought an Eaglestrike decal sheet (48277) that has got P-40B 'White 160' the aircraft flown by Lt. George S. Welch of the 47th PS/15th PG.

"At dawn on December 7, 1941, 2nd Lt. Welch and another pilot, 2nd Lt. Ken Taylor, were coming back from a Christmas dinner and dance party (with big band orchestra) at a rooftop hotel in Waikiki, that ended in an all-night poker game. They were still wearing mess dress when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour. Welch telephoned an auxiliary Haleiwa Fighter Strip on Oahu's North Shore to have two Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk fighters prepared for take-off. He and Taylor immediately drove his Buick at high speed to Haleiwa in order to join the air battle.[2]

Taking off with only 30 cal ammo in the wing guns, Welch claimed two kills of Aichi D3A Val dive bombers over Ewa Mooring Mast Field. The first enemy aircraft was only damaged and it made it back to its carrier while the second was finished off by Ken Taylor, shortly before he landed at Wheeler Field to get 50 cal ammo for his two cowl guns. On his second sortie, Welch shot down a Val (which was behind Ken Taylor) and the Val crashed in the community of Wahiawa, then Welch got one Mitsubishi Zero fighter about five miles west of Barbers Point.[3]

Both Welch and Taylor were nominated for the Medal of Honor by Gen. Henry H. Arnold, but were awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the highest USAAF medal, for their actions." Courtesy of Wikipedia

Here is the Kit (decals have not arrived yet):

DSC07041.jpg

Hope to make a start on this in the next couple of weeks, just putting the finishing touches to an F-16 and need to press on with the Phantom GB...... to many kits, not enough time!

Rich

Rich: Great pick of a P-40 [Pearl Harbor] for this GB....

Cheers,

ggc

Nice to see an early P40, but be careful as Trump have made the pit way to shallow (the pilot would need to be 3ft) but I think Squadron do a resin one for this kit..

Andy :frantic:

Nice to see an early P40, but be careful as Trump have made the pit way to shallow (the pilot would need to be 3ft) but I think Squadron do a resin one for this kit..

Andy :frantic:

Thanks Andy, I had heard that the cockpit was too shallow, not the first time I've heard this of a Trumpeter kit! But in this case I'm going for the quick build so gonna stick with the kits tub, and it wont have pilot on board so shouldn't be to obvious. To be honest I get most of my pleasure from the build, accuracy for me is not the be all and end all. Hope to have some progress pic's of the cockpit in a few days.

Rich

Hi all,

Been making steady progress on this, well actually its pretty quick progress for me!

The decals arrived so nothing stopping me now. I will be building the second scheme down on the page (Number 160).

P-40B-decals.jpg

Been working on the cockpit for the last week or so and got it finished tonight, so I've now got the fuselage halves together. Here's where I've got to....

P-40B-7.jpg

P-40B-6.jpg

P-40B-5.jpg

Used some of the Airscale Instrument Decals on the panel but the panel is a bit thick to really get the best results with them.

P-40B-3.jpg

P-40B-2.jpg

P-40B-1.jpg

Hopefully there will be more progress soon.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Looks good so far, think I may join you on a Pearl P40 & get mine down from the loft that pit don't look as bad as they say!

Andy :goodjob:

This is the notorious 'shallow' cockpit, isn't it? You can tell if you look for it but I think the cool way that Rich's painted it makes it hardly noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Been plugging away at this over the last few weeks (not the quickest builder, too easily distracted), but its now ready for some paint, just a few shots of it ready for spraying.

So far its been a nice build, and I don't see that changing (famous last words!) the only bit that was a pain was the area on top of the nose, took a bit of filling and sanding, but not too much of a headache.

DSCN0014.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

Hopefully will get the primer on by friday, and maybe some colour over the weekend.

Rich

Edited by Bomber_Harris

Hi all

Managed to get some painting done over the last few days, the underside is now Neutral Grey (you will have to take my word for that as its now masked over), and I managed to get a couple of coats of "olive drab" on tonight.

But..... I'm not convinced about the colour, I have painted it using Vallejo Model Air 71015 "Olive Grey" but I am wondering if its too "green"? Its greener than "Olive Drab", any opinions?

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

Same picture just in different light

DSCN0018.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Rich

The color is fine, US paint stocks are never 'uniform' and you will find difefrent shades of colors even in the same squadrons.

The regulation OD is actually a little darker but in The sun this quickly fades, especailly in the tropics liek Hawaii.