Hurricane and Spitfire movie stars

A project so long in the making I'm not sure if anyone can even remember the WIP thread! As some may recall, two of the four builds are for my project instigator friend, and will be delivered shortly. After completing the BoB Hispanos, I had thought that building the Hurricanes and Spitfires would be somewhat easier by using the alternate components supplied in the Hasegawa kits I used rather than having to modify or scratch build conversion parts. Once again I was somewhat mistaken! Much time was spent in research trying to find the proper configuration that is correct for the movie, but incorrect for aircraft that served during the summer of 1940 or the late model Spits and Hurris that were used in the filming. Each aircraft assumed many identities for the filming and markings were frequently changed.

For my Spitfire, I chose to model MH415, and put her in the 'AI' codes of the squadron lead by Robert Shaw's character S/L "Skipper". One of the codes MH415 wore was 'E', and as that is my first initial, the choice was made. Features include replacement of the bulged cannon bay covers with flat, removal under wing gunbay bulges, filling in shell ejection slots, use of the early short rudder, replacement of the gunsight with a civilian radio, a post war seat belt and shoulder harness, and scratch built mirror was added.

DSCN4611.jpg

DSCN4613.jpg

DSCN4662.jpg

DSCN4612.jpg

DSCN4667.jpg

For my Hurricane I wanted to model one of the aircraft of the training squadron (marker T65 on the plotting board) that took matters into their own hands despite the best effort of the leader to get them to turn to "...course 230!". Hurricane MK II, PZ865, was chosen. Features include removal of the oil collection ring, use of individual exhaust stacks, gunsight omitted and a post war seat belt and shoulder harness added, vacuformed canopy, elevators cut off and repositioned for a more natural look. The radiator door was opened, and some structure detail added to the inlet and outlet.

DSCN4614.jpg

DSCN4617.jpg

DSCN4702.jpg

DSCN4622.jpg

DSCN4645.jpg

For my project instigator friend's Hurri, I chose the first aircraft to appear in the film, the 'H' coded Hurricane seen performing a roll over the refugee clogged roads of France. Features are similar to those above.

DSCN4683.jpg

DSCN4680.jpg

DSCN4682.jpg

DSCN4686.jpg

Ready for delivery alongside the Revell Mk II

DSCN4696.jpg

Up next, the last of the series, CASA 111s........

Eric

Edited by Yankymodeler

Great looking builds there from one of my all time favourite films!What scale and kits are these?

Mike

Thanks Mike, the Hurris and the Mk IX Spit are Hasegawa 1/48, the Mk II marked as 'CD A' is an ancient Revell. Although lacking somewhat in the fine detail, it has very good overall shape.

Eric

Beautiful builds! I have loved BoB since my first viewing and it's always wonderful to see more models based on film aircraft. If these are anything to go by, the CASAs will be gorgeous!

The Film was probably inspirational for many in building models in general but building the actual film version is a very novel idea.

Two lovely builds.

Thank you to all for your nice comments! As this is written, the final models of my "The Battle of Britain" movie stars series is underway. Two Monogram He-111s are being converted into CASA 2.111s. In addition I have started Spitfire Mk XIV G-ALGT which will be finished in the white and blue scheme just before BoB filming started. I hope to get a WIP thread started next week for anyone still interested in this saga! :sleep_1:

Eric F. aka Yankymodeler

Thank you to all for your nice comments! As this is written, the final models of my "The Battle of Britain" movie stars series is underway. Two Monogram He-111s are being converted into CASA 2.111s. In addition I have started Spitfire Mk XIV G-ALGT which will be finished in the white and blue scheme just before BoB filming started. I hope to get a WIP thread started next week for anyone still interested in this saga! :sleep_1:

Eric F. aka Yankymodeler

Eric Look forward to that Sir, :wow: