An Orange F-4F!

Really looking forward to the group build and with the speed I build these days, I will need all six months! :)

Here's what I have:

Revell 1/48 F-4F

GEDC2137.jpg

Two Bobs decals

GEDC2138.jpg

Eduard Resin

IMG_7901.jpg

Eduard Etch and masks

IMG_7904.jpg

More Eduard Etch and Paragon Flaps

IMG_7903.jpg

Aires pit and Two Mikes intake blanks

IMG_7902.jpg

Also have the True Details wheels but will probably use the Eduard ones

IMG_7905.jpg

Roll on Friday night! :thumbsup:

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

Made a very brief start today. I've removed the flaps and ailerons from the upper wing as these will be repositioned, drooped. All the photos I have seen of this particular F-4F at rest, show both the ailerons and flaps positioned this way. I will do the same to the lower wing tomorrow.

GEDC2140.jpg

I also chose to glue each nose half to their respective fuselage half at this stage instead of attaching it as a complete assembly at a later stage.

GEDC2139.jpg

Regards.

Graham

I also chose to glue each nose half to their respective fuselage half at this stage instead of attaching it as a complete assembly at a later stage.

<snip>

Regards.

Graham

Thanks for the tip Graham, I hadnt thought of that, so I will remember that one :thumbsup2: Good start so far, and I will be watching your work on the leading edges as Ive never been brave enough to attempt that yet.....

Bexy

Hi Antony.

The orange is RAL2000 but I haven't as yet found it available from any of the usual model paint producers. I may have to get it specially mixed.

Regards.

Graham

This is going to be good.

What paint are you using for the orange?

Antony

Hi Bex,

There isn't anything to do on the leading edges as far as I'm aware?

Regards.

Graham

Thanks for the tip Graham, I hadnt thought of that, so I will remember that one :thumbsup2: Good start so far, and I will be watching your work on the leading edges as Ive never been brave enough to attempt that yet.....

Bexy

Hi Bex,

There isn't anything to do on the leading edges as far as I'm aware?

Regards.

Graham

Graham, inboard of the wing folds on the leading edge are slats......... HERE and HERE

Both those linkys to Airliners show what I mean..... sorry never can get a piccy to show direct from there :lol:

Bexy

I guessed that was what you meant Bex. They are usually fully closed on parked jets so I won't be worrying about them. :)

EDiT......although I've just found two pics of this jet parked with slats deployed! :unsure:

Graham

Graham, inboard of the wing folds on the leading edge are slats......... HERE and HERE

Both those linkys to Airliners show what I mean..... sorry never can get a piccy to show direct from there :lol:

Bexy

Edited by ghaynes

I guessed that was what you meant Bex. They are usually fully closed on parked jets so I won't be worrying about them. :)

EDiT......although I've just found two pics of this jet parked with slats deployed! :unsure:

Graham

Now you see why Ive always left them alone because I was never sure :lol: I look forwards to watching & learning :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Graham

As I understand it, it's standard procedure on German Phantoms to deploy the slats and flaps before shutdown. If you plan to replicate this, try to get hold of the Paragon slats as it'll be easier than scratch-building!

Here's a couple of shots of 38+50 I took at RIAT2010 showing the deployed flaps (and, if you look carefully, the slats :) ):

3850rear-1.jpg

3850rear-2.jpg

The three photos I have of 37+16 with slats retracted looks like they had applied power to it as the nav lights are on....damn! Hannants don't appear to have the Paragon slats so unless I can find them elsewhere it looks like I will have to do some scratch building! :weep:

Regards.

Graham

As I understand it, it's standard procedure on German Phantoms to deploy the slats and flaps before shutdown. If you plan to replicate this, try to get hold of the Paragon slats as it'll be easier than scratch-building!

Here's a couple of shots of 38+50 I took at RIAT2010 showing the deployed flaps (and, if you look carefully, the slats :) ):

3850rear-1.jpg

3850rear-2.jpg

Managed to track down a set of Paragon slats at an on-line shop in Singapore! :yahoo:

Hopefully the wait won't hold my build up too long. There's still plenty to be getting on with though!

Regards.

Graham

The three photos I have of 37+16 with slats retracted looks like they had applied power to it as the nav lights are on....damn! Hannants don't appear to have the Paragon slats so unless I can find them elsewhere it looks like I will have to do some scratch building! :weep:

Regards.

Graham

A small update from me. Had forgotten how much of a PITA the Aires pit is to fit. I used a combination of the Aires resin and the Eduard cockpit set. I have still got to sort the gap between the Aires sidewalls and the fuselage and I have a cunning plan if all doesn't go according to plan. Fuselage halves went together like a dream....no filler, only a drop or two of Mr Surfacer 1200 in a couple of places.

GEDC2170a.jpg

GEDC2171a.jpg

GEDC2173a.jpg

GEDC2172a.jpg

A couple of shots with the pilot's instrument panel and coaming dropped in place temporarily....

GEDC2174a.jpg

GEDC2175a.jpg

Graham

Another small update from me. Progress will probably grind to a halt soon as I need the Paragon slats that have only just been dispatched from Singapore! Fingers crossed they arrive quickly.

Anyway, I sorted the gap mentioned in my previous update by filling, sanding and then replacing the lost detail with the Eduard etch. The pilot's instrument panel and coaming is again just temporarily in position for the photos.

GEDC2177.jpg

GEDC2180.jpg

GEDC2178.jpg

After gluing the fuselage halves together I realised I should have cut out the rudder first as I had planned to have this deflected on the model. I managed to cut it out but had definitely made the job a lot more difficult for myself! :doh:

GEDC2179.jpg

I've also filled the locating holes for the wing tanks, attached the blanks for the catapult hooks and removed a couple of fairings that aren't found on the F-4F. A quick shot of Halfords grey primer and everything looks good.

GEDC2181.jpg

This will be my last update for a week as I'm off to Germany for a holiday. May even take a trip to Wittmund... :)

Cheers.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

Antony,

Thanks to spooky56 on here, I will be using Halfords Volkswagon Brilliant Orange for the RAL2000. From the trials I've just done though, it looks like it will have to be sprayed over a white primer as it looks too dark over a grey primer.

Regards.

Graham

Hi Antony.

The orange is RAL2000 but I haven't as yet found it available from any of the usual model paint producers. I may have to get it specially mixed.

Regards.

Graham

Graham,

If you have an airbrush you could try Zero Paints from www.hiroboy.com they will mix any RAL colour, pre thinned for airbrushing. Needs a primer and then a clearcoat as it is a matt finish.

Excellent paints though, I use them on the F1 stuff I build.

Antony,

Thanks to spooky56 on here, I will be using Halfords Volkswagon Brilliant Orange for the RAL2000. From the trials I've just done though, it looks like it will have to be sprayed over a white primer as it looks too dark over a grey primer.

Regards.

Graham

Thanks for the info Graham, i'll be watching closely to see how she comes out.

The pit looks stunning!

Antony

Yep, I have an airbrush so I will take a look at the website. I was going to decant the Halfords paint into my airbrush anyway. Spray cans don't give you a lot of control so I prefer an airbrush.

Regards.

Graham

Graham,

If you have an airbrush you could try Zero Paints from www.hiroboy.com they will mix any RAL colour, pre thinned for airbrushing. Needs a primer and then a clearcoat as it is a matt finish.

Excellent paints though, I use them on the F1 stuff I build.

A brief update from me.

I'm guessing the Paragon slats were designed for converting a 'hard' wing and not one that already has slats moulded closed. I couldn't see the point of removing the sections of the lower wing (inc. the slat actuators), just to replace them with resin parts. What I intend to do is reduce the thickness of the said resin parts so that I can drop them in from the top. Hope that makes sense! :)

GEDC2197.jpg

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

• 3 weeks later...

No update from me for a while but I have been plodding along with this build. Having cut the wing for the Paragon slats I came across a photo of this particular jet parked with the slats closed, and no external power applied. I knew I'd seen one somewhere! Still. the deployed slats will add a bit more interest to the finished build I guess.....and they aren't that difficult to fit!

GEDC2198.jpg

GEDC2199.jpg

GEDC2203.jpg

Added the sensor fairings under the outer wings. Still got to add a camera fairing aft of each of these.

GEDC2200.jpg

Added an Eduard Brassin arrestor hook that came with the jet pipes.

GEDC2201.jpg

The jet pipes are still a work in progress.....

GEDC2208.jpg

Have been really pleased with how well this has gone together with very little filler needed...even around the intake joins.

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes