Hasegawa F-4EJ 1:72 now with added Fujimi Tbird!

Hi, not sure if its too late to join with this?

IMG00012-20110524-1314.jpg

Many thanks to Doug Rogers for the very kind donation, not sure what im doing with it yet but probably going to have a go at re-scribing the raised panel lines and then make a decision on markings as the kit decals are quite old and not sure how well they will work.

Does anyone know where you can get a 1:72 vacform replacement canopy for a phantom, looked on Hannants and modelsforsale but cant seem to find one?

Thanks, Stu

Edited to change the title to build thread :)

Edited by stoohoo

Does anyone know where you can get a 1:72 vacform replacement canopy for a phantom, looked on Hannants and modelsforsale but cant seem to find one?

If you are doing the canopy closed, I could provide one from my Fujimi FGR2.

If you are doing the canopy closed, I could provide one from my Fujimi FGR2.

Hi Enzo, thanks for the offer would love to take you up on it if poss? Want to do the canopy open but yours could really help me out as the front section of mine is cracked so in the absence of a vac replacement and with some careful cutting should be able to get 1 open out of 2 closed :)

Please let me know how much you want for it will PM you with address etc,

Thanks, Stu

Stu, you certainly can, be nice to see a JASDF Spook for a change :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Excellent thanks Bexy, you have just made my mind up on the scheme then, now to see if the kit decals are any good!

Cheers, Stu

• 1 month later...

Hi Phellow Phantom Phixers, great to see all the lovely work going on here :)

Finally made enough of a start to put up some kind of progress pics.

Big thanks again to Doug Rogers for the kit and Enzo Matrix / Pete W for donation of fujimi canopies which have given me enough to carve up 1 open canopy :)

First shot of box, sprues, eduard etch cockpit set and quickboost seats

IMG00059-20110604-0721.jpg

Have finally managed to re-scribe most of the large pieces, just a couple more drop tanks and the pylons to do, never re-scribed a kit before but wasnt to bad once it got going, though some of the lines may be a bit deep, hope it will all even out when primer is on :) Used electrical tape as a guide, found if i cut it about 3-4 layers deep it was still flexible enough to fit the various curves but thick enough to guide without (too many) slips. By the time i got to the second fuselage side the technique was getting better but too late for the first side by then, still got to learn somehow :)

7thjuly2011018.jpg

Have cut out the ends where the exhausts join and hollowed the exhausts out and thinned, cut some lines in for the petals, made a fake compressor face and fitted a length of tube (daughters crayola lid!) to give a bit of depth, not brilliant but feels better then doing nothing

7thjuly2011019.jpg

Have also started on scratch building the cockpit, the only thing the kit had was the tub and 2 very very basic seats, have got the photo etch panels onto some backing plates and making bulkheads etc. now need to make it fit, having to thin the cockpit floor and the nose wheel bay roof to try to get the panels to sit down inside the cockpit walls, bit of a pain but getting closer to it fitting...

7thjuly2011017.jpg

7thjuly2011016.jpg

Final pic is the nose gear bay, was completely bare box so scratched a bit of rough detail with plastic card and fusewire, not accurate but makes it a bit busier...

7thjuly2011015.jpg

Anyway thats where i am at the moment, slow progress but getting somewhere slowly, thanks for looking :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report but finally got the cockpit painted and ready to install so adding a couple of pics

IMG_6235.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

Now onto joining the fuselage and hoping it speeds up a bit more from here :)

Thanks for looking!

Hey Stoo,

Its hard to believe this is just 72nd!!! Amazing work on such an ancient kit :worthy:

Bexy

Hey Stoo,

Its hard to believe this is just 72nd!!! Amazing work on such an ancient kit :worthy:

Bexy

Hiya Bexy, thanks for the kind comment :) The quickboost seats definately make a difference over the lumpy things that were in the kit! Cheers, Stu

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit more progress to show, have got the fuselage and wings together, primed and preshaded. Made the mistake of sticking the upper and lower wing sections together first then went to stick it to the fuselage once dried and found that the gap between the wings was to narrow to get the fuselage into without the wings pointing noticably downwards.

Eventually managed to scrape and sand enough out of the inside edges of the wing top halves to get it to fit and then put loads of glue on the wing-fuselage join and pull the wings up with masking tape while it set, bottom was a bit twitchy when taking the tape off as i could see the wings just pinging back down but all seems to have set up pretty flat. In hindsight i should have taken some pics and saved all this writing.....:)

Also broke the tail pitot off so replaced with part of the drill bit i broke trying to open the tail pitot hole out with, other half used on nose pitot..must remember to get some more small drill bits

Anyway some pics, first preshaded (not really had much luck with this in the past on mutliple colour camos so hoping with white and grey should show through..

IMG_6552.jpg

Then white sprayed on bottom, think preshading has come though just enough and decided i do not like spraying white at all, using a spare car tyre as still need to get a compressor and took two tyres full to get this far (and melted the tyre compressor by leaving it on to long)

IMG_6595.jpg

Hopefully will push on a bit faster now...

Also picked up this Fujimi Thunderbirds phantom cheap on evilbay, it was slightly started but the work will have to be redone so would say 0% complete, want to enter this as 2nd build if no-one minds (let me know and i will start a new thread)? Cant see many of these made or reviewed on the net which is starting to look like a bad thing, also compared the bits against a friends 1:48 scale drawing and allthought the fuselage is the right length each wing seems to be about an inch too short, how can a company that makes such a great 1:72 phantom be so off with thier 1:48 offering? Still got it now so it needs to be built :)

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

Thanks for looking

Hi ya Stu,

Great progress on the EJ :worthy:

Re: Your Fujimi, you can either edit the title of this thread to include the Fuji, or just start another thread. Just one thing, that kit is a REAL PITA, Mish gave me her part build to fiddle with, that was 2yrs ago, and its still in a box in the loft :yikes: I may just use it for spares instead.

Bexy

Also picked up this Fujimi Thunderbirds phantom cheap on evilbay, it was slightly started but the work will have to be redone so would say 0% complete, want to enter this as 2nd build if no-one minds (let me know and i will start a new thread)? Cant see many of these made or reviewed on the net which is starting to look like a bad thing, also compared the bits against a friends 1:48 scale drawing and allthought the fuselage is the right length each wing seems to be about an inch too short, how can a company that makes such a great 1:72 phantom be so off with thier 1:48 offering? Still got it now so it needs to be built :)

Thanks for looking

Nice work on the first model. Fujimi made their 1/48th kit ong before they made the 1/72nd ones. They also had a history of making their early 1/48th kits not quite to scale.

Cheers for the input guys :)

Bexy - Funnily enough looking on google the only thing close to a build review that I can find for the Fujimi kit is one posted here by Mish in 2008. Unfortunately the pics are long gone and looking at the thread it got to a point where the paint was causing problems and was then left - i assume that may be the one thats in your loft :)

So that means ive got to try and build it now (or crash and burn to be remembered for all eternity on the internet) cos it seems the kit is too cr?p for anyone else to have bothered... :)

I do have the added advantage of being able to bin the p*ss poor cockpit straight away though, I work with Pete W who has kindly donated the cockpit from his Hasegawa phantom as he is using the Aires pit, though on first inspection it is about 5mm wider than the fuselage so going to have to trim it to fit,

Anyway have edited the title to include in this thread, so let the fun begin....

Cheers, Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, got the top colour on so finally getting closer to completion oh so slooooowly

Anyway heres some pics, shows up how horribly overdone the rescribe attempt is but will learn to be more gentle next time :)

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

As usual any comments welcome and appreciated :)

Your cockpit work looks great.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished :thumbsup:

Thanks Ray, just checked and seen your post :)

Looking forward to seeing it finished too, its taken me since the start of the GB to get this far, i think if i ever try re-scribing again i will have something else on the go to make it feel like im getting somewhere :)

Cheers, Stu

• 4 weeks later...

Another update finally!!!!

Wanted to have this done by end of September to stand a chance of completing the thunderbird but had a bit of a disaster with the Alclad. Had all the aluminium bits done and tried to darken behind the exhausts with smoke but ended up going too thick and getting the runs (ooh err) :shit: . Anyway wiped it off with the xtracrylic thinners which then managed to remove most of the Alcad and some of the grey as well....dont you hate it when you get the rare hour or 2 to get some modelling done and end up further behind than when you started :deadhorse:

Anyway got some Alclad steel to contrast with the redone aluminium, finished scratching the FOD covers (which im sure would be better suited to a brit phantom but simplest style to make) and started on the decalling. Having a bit of a time with the decals at the mo as they are probably older than me and have developed a very close relationship with the backing paper over the years but touch wood not ruined any yet,

Anyway on with the pics and on the home straight now (hopefully)

Thanks for looking :)

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7232.jpg

IMG_7230.jpg

Back again, no pics as yet but almost all the decals on, apart from one small disaster.....

I managed to screw up one of the formation light decals that goes on the side of the intake trunking :shit:

Does anyone who may read this have one that they may be able to part with for money / exchange, before i throw myself on the mercies of evilbay to get a set of decals to rob one from?

TIA to anyone who can help.....

Lovely work!

I might have a spare formation light decal, how many panels does it have?

Phil

Thanks Phil - been admiring your 3 builds, cant believe how quickly you have managed to get that last one together, its taken me since may to get this far!!

It should have 3 panels, just to be a complete pain it is slightly longer than the 3 panel one that is on the nose....its quite a bright yellow as well (see the tail one in the last pic).

Cheers, Stu

I had a look for those decals and I hate to say they're no use I think! They're 2 bar for starters and one has no black border printed on it!!

Sorry

Phil

No worries Phil, really appreciate your offer and taking the time to look, think i can get what i want off ebay without too much hardship and sure the spare bits will end up being useful for something :)

Cheers, Stu

Bit of an update, got all the decals on apart from the formation light I trashed :shit:

Now fitted the sparrows, flaps and tailplane so not far to go :)

IMG_7413.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

Also got some work done on the Thunderbird, managed to hack the hasegawa cockpit about enough to fit and remove the 5mm gap it created between the fuselage halves, first pic below shows the excuse for a cockpit that came with the kit on the left hand side and nice hasegawa tub on the right:

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7260.jpg

Any comments / criticisms appreciated as always,

Cheers, Stu