Another Anson - NZ418

This one has languished on my shelf of doom for over 4 years. It has some personal link as my dad was a toolmaker for Avro Yeadon and loved the Anson. He passed away a long time ago but he liked the Anson better than the Lancaster. The machine I want to make was built at Yeadon on tools my dad made and was one of the machines that Sir Edmund Hilary learned to navigate on at Bell Block near New Plymouth.

Various issues had caused me to stall. The main one was the fit of the main cabin glass. or the lack thereof. However the fabulous work by Howard Moon on his Anson re-ignited my enthusiasm so..

This is where we start:

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

So off we go.

Edited by Silver Fox

Last nights work. It doesn't look like much but it has seen the ill-fitting, too narrow fuselage top filled and sanded. Like Howard said the are shape issues but I can live with them for the moment. I added the instrument panel which was already finished as well.

IMGP2167.jpg

I have started to mask the canopy and it is just push fitted. The badly cracked front of the cabin can be seen and my solution is to put a sliver of plastic card under the crack and once the canopy is in place I'll fill it.

IMGP2168.jpg

The canopy is from the late model Anson but the Classic Airframes Export version,with RNZAF markings, only had the early sloped one. I contacted Classic via another forum and after some discussion the owner agreed the boxing is wrong and sent me two correct canopies, for which I thank him. I therefore have a spare so if anyone is in the same position as me, PM me.

Thanks for the support Wolfie :D

No photos today but some progress. I fitted the canopy, nose glazing and one side window. All fitted ok but will need some sanding down. I have filled the gap between the canopy and roof with Vallejo filler. Again thanks for the tip Wolfie, it is great stuff for delicate work.

I had alreay built one wing so the next task will be to finish the other.

More photos soon.

Excellent work, I will be doing an NZ Anson using the old Airfix kit and some spare Oxford engine cowlings.

Nick

Excellent work, I will be doing an NZ Anson using the old Airfix kit and some spare Oxford engine cowlings.

Nick

Fool that I am I have a Special Hobby boxing of this kit which will allow me to make a later iteration of the RNZAF Anson with the turret deleted and the smooth cowls.

This one has languished on my shelf of doom for over 4 years. It has some personal link as my dad was a toolmaker for Avro Yeadon and loved the Anson. He passed away a long time ago but he liked the Anson better than the Lancaster. The machine I want to make was built at Yeadon on tools my dad made and was one of the machines that Sir Edmund Hilary learned to navigate on at Bell Block near New Plymouth.

Various issues had caused me to stall. The main one was the fit of the main cabin glass. or the lack thereof. However the fabulous work by Howard Moon on his Anson re-ignited my enthusiasm so..

This is where we start:

So off we go.

Hi Andy. I'll watch your re-start on this kit with interest mate! Are you OK for markings, or would you like some made for this project? :beer:

Cheers,

Pete M.

Hi Andy. I'll watch your re-start on this kit with interest mate! Are you OK for markings, or would you like some made for this project? :beer:

Cheers,

Pete M.

Pete,

Thanks very much but I'm OK for 418. but if you fancy doing the Ferdinand the Bull or Dumbo cartoons I could change my mind!!!!

Take care

Andy

No pictures again I'm afraid and not much progress as now the kitchen is painted I've got a professional exam to revise for. However both wings are built and one engine installed. I don't expect to get much done next of week but will post pictures the week after, partially to keep me moving on this one. I'm not going to let it beat me.

Ok, passed my exam and I hav ea few days before the next so some progress and a couple of photos.

The first shows the wings and tailplanes are on but needing more filling and sanding.

IMGP2174.jpg

This next one shows the whole thing plus the obligatory box shoot which I missed at the beginining plus a photo of the real thing. You can also see the amount of filling needed between the roof and the canopy.

IMGP2173.jpg

So a bit more progress. hopefully I'll have the airframe complete this week and move onto the undercarriage and turret.

Thanks for looking.

Some more progress this week. I spent a few hours at friends modelling room and got a lot of the detail work finished.

So, the engines are on and painted, the nacelles are cut fron the moulding plugs. The filling as sanding is done, notice how the sanding has taken the undercoat back to the clear plastic underneath and the undercarriage is assembled but not fitted, though in place for the photo.

IMGP2175.jpg

There is just the photo etch actuators to add, not sure if I'll add them before or after painting.

Thanks for looking.

1432 days since I cut the first parts off their casting blocks I have actually put the underside Sky onto the beast. The engines are painted and detailed, the two undercarriage units are assembled and ready to paint. I actually think I might finish this one. Photos to follow once the upper surface camo is on.

Thanks for keeping with me.

The undercarriage units are painted and a second coat was needed on the underside. I'm letting that dry before masking the underside for the first of the top side colours.

She has had to be put aside for a few days as I have the second lot of professional exam to study for this week.