1/72 Airfix Buccaneer

cjhm

Here is my Airfix Buccaneer, inspired by the Rowland White book 'Phoenix Squadron' (Vulcan 607 is a good read too)

I built it wheels up, it needed lots of filler which in turn meant the panel lines etc got lost during sanding but I don't think it looks too bad

All was as supplied in the box other than using the Martels (which are on the sprues but not the instructions) which needed some plastic card rails and spares box decals to match pics on the internet.

Paint is all by brush, main colour is Lifecolor Gloss EDSG, decals went on well with Gunze Mr Color\Mr Mark softner which were then sealed with Lifecolour clear gloss

I managed to get a spare decal sheet from Airfix so I could have matching serial numbers on the rear fuselage (one is for another plane, a copy\paste error I presume)

Base is a piece of a pine shelf kit with a polyfiller sea and balsa trim finished with pine colour varnish. The sea was painted with Lifecolor grey\greens then sealed with 'canopy fix', a crystal clear PVA which was repeated a few times to get a smooth finish after I varnished the first coat of clear PVA and it all cracked (it would have made a very good dry lake bed effect ...)

Plane is suspended on clear acrylic rod (brought on eBay), bent using a hot air gun paint stripper whilst wearing thick gardening gloves (still got hot hands!)

I've returned to modelling after 10-12 years or so 'child break' and have been building stuff 'from the box' to please myself, trying not to get hooked back on the need for resin\etch\decals and absolute accuracy (not that I ever achieved it) so hope you enjoy it as it is

Pics taken with a Canon A620 compact camera in macro mode using a Poundland mini tripod and delayed shutter release to stop wobble

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

Edited by cjhm

I think that looks excellent, you've captured a real sense of speed there although I can't quite explain how, just like a 70s/80s Fleet Air Arm recruiting advert.

Spookily that is almost exactly how I planned in my head on doing the very same kit, i.e. displayed flying low over the ocean where a Buccaneer is in its element :hypnotised: , never went through with it though as 1/72 isn't my scale and I sold the kit to fund more 1/48 styrene.

You have done a marvellous job with it though, glad to see it in that setting :speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...