1/72 Revell-gawa He 111H-2

***Note*** This build was not orignally in the Battle of Britain Group Build and so the initial post and a few of the subsequent posts make a little less sense than they perhaps should.***End note***

Well I'm starting my first WIP build here on britmodeller and my choice is the Revell He-111 H-6, built as Battle of Britain H-2 version. As most on here will likely know, the revell kit is a reboxing minus P/E of the Hasegawa tooling, and a very fine kit it looks indeed (at least from the sprues I've got and the ones I've seen built).

I'm no expert on the plane, just want to build one because the He-111 is one of the prettiest WW2 mediums, at least in my opinion. Also Feel free to help out with advice and tips along the way, as I've only been building models for 18 months or so, and I still have much to learn.

So, here it is

p1050180.jpg

You'll see I'm using a set of Eduard masks for the canopy and other glazing. I thought it prudent on a model with such a large amount of clear plastic in prominent places. I will be using Xtradecal markings (and indeed paints) from the recently released sheet. The aircraft is from 9./KG53 based at Lille during September 1940. The unusual feature of the aircraft is that it has pink formation/identification markings on the starboard wing and rudder.

See a pic of the real aircraft HERE

You'll notice there is a fair amount of overspray on the wing where the temporary markings were applied - should be interesting!

Anyway, I'm looking to have some fun with this build and if some of you want to come along for the ride then the more the merrier!

Rowan

Edited by rowmk9
  • Like 1

Hi,

Nice one.

But wouldn't you rather join the "Battle of Britain "groupbuild (starting 1 st Aug) with this one ?

You might get more direct help as you intend to build it as a BoB Heinkel.All the experts are present there.

See link...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showforum=295

You can ask a Moderator to move this topic to the GB.

Edited by Erwin

Thanks to Mish and Mike for moving my WIP thread over to here. It seems fitting that I build a BoB aircraft in the group build that is just about to start! I don't have a great deal of infomation about my particular aircraft (except that which I've already mentioned in the initial post) so if anyone can help, I'd love to hear from you.

Rowan

I've found a bit more information about this aircraft, from this source:

Chris Belmont, Luftwaffe Squadrons 1939-1945 (Staplehurst: Spellmont, 2006) 28.

It says, "Based at Lille-Nord in France, this He-111 was involved in the climax of the Battle of Britain. Attacking London on 15th Septmeber 1940, it was attacked by Spitfires of 66 Squadron. Badly damaged, it force-landed at Arementieres."

There is no mention of the crew, which is a shame. Still, this is a fitting subject for this group build.

Rowan

I've found a bit more information about this aircraft, from this source:

Chris Belmont, Luftwaffe Squadrons 1939-1945 (Staplehurst: Spellmont, 2006) 28.

It says, "Based at Lille-Nord in France, this He-111 was involved in the climax of the Battle of Britain. Attacking London on 15th Septmeber 1940, it was attacked by Spitfires of 66 Squadron. Badly damaged, it force-landed at Arementieres."

There is no mention of the crew, which is a shame. Still, this is a fitting subject for this group build.

Rowan

I found a picture of A1 + DT in my German Bombers over England Book. It's Port Undercarriage leg has collapsed on landing at Villacoublay. Looking at the wing of this Aircraft The fuselage Bars on the wing seem to have even more overspray than the one you're portraying

Interesting, seems the bars were quite hastily applied. the decal sheet for mine indicates that there is no overspray on the tail markings, but to be honest, they're probably working from the same picture I am so they can't see the stripes and it is just conjecture as to whether they are well applied or not. I may decide to give them a touch of overspray, to 'match' the look of the wing.

Rowan

Ok, not wanting to be left out, I have made a start on my Heinkel. Not much so far, just the upper part of the bomb bay. Watch out London! And yes, the ink is still drying...

p1050235s.jpg

Rowan

Edited by rowmk9

A little bit more progress. The cockpit is starting to form up. Seat and control column in place. The seat is kitted out with seatbelts from the El Cheapo range. i.e. painted masking tape.

p1050242y.jpg

Rowan

Maybe so, but then I'm building 1/72 OOB and you're building 1/48 with a ton of aftermarket. That may have something to do with it....

Rowan

Some more progress. The cockpit is basically finished, bar the control panel and glazing (oh, so not much left then...). Its been hassle free so far. I even added the throttle controls on the pilots left hand panel, along with some straps for the rudder pedals. nothing too swish, and certainly not uber accurate, but better than leaving it blank I feel. Now enough babble, the pics!!

p1050262p.jpg

p1050265y.jpg

p1050272z.jpg

I've noticed the left rudder pedal is bent, and its since been straightend out

Rowan

Looking good Rowan.

I can't remember whether I gave you the Werk Nummer for A1+BT or not; anyway, it's 3340.

Although the Gen.Qu.6 Abt lists the aircraft as suffering 40% damage during a sortie to London on 15 Sept and although it also lists two crew members as being wounded, it does not give their names.

Cheers

Dave

Looking good Rowan.

I can't remember whether I gave you the Werk Nummer for A1+BT or not; anyway, it's 3340.

Although the Gen.Qu.6 Abt lists the aircraft as suffering 40% damage during a sortie to London on 15 Sept and although it also lists two crew members as being wounded, it does not give their names.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave!

That info is great. It reveals more information whilst supporting the little I found out. I didn't know the Werk Number so thats nice to know. 40% damage eh? trust the Germans to note the damage as a percentage. :P

Rowan

Today's update: the fuselage halves have been glued together. Forever locking away the bombs in the bomb bay from being seen, on my version, the windows in the bomb bay are omitted. shame.

p1050278v.jpg

p1050280h.jpg

Moving on, I sprayed the undercarriage bays RLM02 and glued the wing halves together, using pegs, clamps and masking tapes :P

p1050284s.jpg

p1050285.jpg

The lower part of the bomb bay was also painted RLM02, then the bomb fins were painted dark green (I swear!), and the whole area washed over with black ink

p1050286.jpg

The undercarriage bays were given the black ink treatment as well.

p1050287v.jpg

And whilst the wings were setting, I put together the engines. and then simply couldn't resist a mock up. errr, test fit, yeah that's what it was.

p1050288.jpg

Rowan