Polikarpov I-16

• 1 month later...

Just finished the cockpit now and about to close up the cockpit.

2009_12150006.jpg

Hopefully I can get a bit of a move on now with the rest.

Antoine: Thanks for the link, very useful. The fuselage/wing joint does look a bit of a handful, I've also found that the upper part of the fuselage opening behind the engine isn't as wide as the lower part of the wing so I'm going to have to insert some sprue to push that out to fit.

Thanks,

Nick

• 5 weeks later...

Comrades,

as the commisars have pointed out to me I have been negligent in my efforts to forward our great cause.

So here is the latest update to my build. The underside has already been painted and hopefully I should have made some progress to the uppersides by the weekend.

2010_01190011.jpg

Nick

Made a bit more progress over the weekend.

Upper surfaces have now been painted, varnished and decaled.

2010_01250001.jpg

The only major part left to do is the undercarriage, and its a bit fiddly.

Nick

Stebos,

the upper surfaces are painted with Tamiya acrylics. The green I used was XF-70 IJN Dark Green. I don't know whether it is exactly the correct colour but it looks alright to me, as I wanted it to look green rather than olive or khaki.

I've been following a discussion over on ARC about soviet colours Link and it gets a bit complicated (and heated). The colour I was trying to go for is shown in the Pilawski's book as unknown although there is an awful lot of discussion as to the validity of the book.

Nick

Thanks for the reply and the link Nick. Going with a bright olive green myself, currently pondering the u/s blue as I don't have a good match to hand it seems.

Stebos,

I've painted the underside of mine in White Ensign enamels. They do a colour called Soviet VVS AII Blue which is supposed to be a pretty good match. Its a bit like RLM65 but slightly more blue and brighter.

Nick