Colourblind Canberra Construct-ED

Hi all,

This is my second entry to the GB, which will have to wait a while until I finish the Olympus testbed - I make it a rule only to work on one kit at a time, but thought I'd start the build thread ready. For those who think this is Canberra blasphemy and want to start chanting 'Burn the heretic' I'll point out at the start that this has been passed as fit for public consumption by the GB Admin.

Here's the kit I got from Kit Rescue for £4 at Gloucester:

colour2.jpg

Rather unimaginatively, they propose these colour schemes...Hah! Little do they know:

colour3.jpg

Following the 'Pick a Number...' thread in which I asked 12 members of the BM fraternity to choose numbers between 1-104, thereby choosing the new paint colours for this model, the Matchbox painting guide will now be followed to the letter, except:

The upper surface camouflage green will now be IJN cockpit green, Tamiya

The upper surface camouflage grey will now be gloss red, Tamiya

The undersurface light grey will now be clear yellow, Tamiya

Everything steel will now be Khaki, Tamiya

Everything aluminium will now be flat brown, Tamiya

Everything black will now be RLM65 Light Blue, Vallejo

Everything flesh will now be Field Grey, Tamiya

Everything white will now be Olive Green, Tamiya

Everything cockpit green will now be Chrome, Alclad II

Everything gun metal will now be Flat Blue, Tamiya

Everything red will now be Clear Green, Tamiya

Everything blue will now be Deck Tan, Tamiya.

I'm not going to use primer on this build, so the couple of clear colours over these plastic parts

colour1.jpg

should make for an interesting colour scheme. Following a comment by Keefr22, I'm going to try to do the build without filler too...

There are no decals with this kit, so the roundels and fin flashes will be masked and painted. I might do the underwing serial numbers too if I'm feeling clever.

I'll let you know when I get round to starting it.

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

One kit at a time... PAGH! Man up Dean, we all want to see this one started immediately. I could do with a laugh*!

I hope none of our color blind members are upset?

* Not at the skills exercised, just the deliberately horrendous end result. :)

One kit at a time... PAGH! Man up Dean, we all want to see this one started immediately. I could do with a laugh*!

I hope none of our color blind members are upset?

* Not at the skills exercised, just the deliberately horrendous end result. :)

Q. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

A. I'll tell you tomorrow...

Patience is a virtue, Mike. Hope none of our colour blind members are upset? So do I. If feelings get hurt, I apologise profusely in advance.

Jokes folks, all just jokes. Why are we so horrible to our friends, eh?

Cheers,

Dean

You're sucking the enjoyment out of my hobby with this build!!! And talking of that, what were those sweety things you were dishing out on Sunday?

Hi Bill, it's amazing this - I've had about a dozen replies to this topic and I haven't even started the build yet! As for sucking the enjoyment out of your hobby, it's up to you to blow some back in then! Do a silly build - it's quite refreshing.

I was recently called a JMN by someone when I pointed out a flaw on a build, so maybe I'm overcompensating!

As for the sucking enjoyment, they were Rocky Roads and Millionaire's Flapjacks, available in Sainsbury's for £1.99 a tub. Gym membership to run them off afterwards is a bit more pricey, though...

Keep watching,

Dean

Whats a JMN? :please:

Regards,

JB (hope there isn't an acronym for that one!!)

Whats a JMN? :please:

Regards,

JB (hope there isn't an acronym for that one!!)

Hi John,

I had to look it up myself at the time. It's been discussed recently on the Rivet Counter thread coincidentally, and stands for 'Joyless Modelling Nazi', although the Wooksta who coined the acronym has recently changed it to Joyless Modelling Numpty. Either way, I wasn't happy.

As for JB - how about Jovial Bloke?

Cheers,

Dean

Dean,

Chears matey, Jovial Bloke suits me fine :D , better than some of the stuff I have been called before!!!!.

Regards,

JB.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, after all that...both the engine faces are missing from the kit! I've just been taking parts off the sprue and cleaning them up, and when I was applying paint to the engine faces it was dropping straight off the brush onto the floor. It was at this point I realised the parts were missing... :doh:

So, unless I can find another cheap Matchbox kit to replace the missing parts, or unless someone out there has them in their spares box and is willing to part with them, it looks like this build is off. Sorry to have got your hopes up for nothing, but that's the risk you take with second hand kits I suppose.

At least now I'm not likely to get lynched by the Canberra Cognoscenti...

Cheers,

Dean

At least now I'm not likely to get lynched by the Canberra Cognoscenti...

And I was so looking forward to it, can't beat a good lynching. Torches 'n pitchforks in the dark 'n all that. I could always get you a couple of casts off of my PR9 which I was thinking about doing for this GB...

:wicked:

peebeep

Here's a novel idea, why not scratch build some engine front fod guards? :whistle:

It's not just the engine faces, it's the front of the engine nacelle too, all in one piece.

And thanks for the offer of casting replacements Paul, but I need the original parts really as they'll have clear yellow paint over them and will show up a different colour to the rest of the kit parts. I don't want it to look stupid... :rolleyes:

I'll see what I can find on Sunday at the show. If not, I've got something even MORE blasphemous I could do to a Canberra in mind. :evil_laugh:

Cheers,

Dean

Edit: I'll be there Tony...can you save this project?

Edited by Deanflyer

It's not just the engine faces, it's the front of the engine nacelle too, all in one piece.

And thanks for the offer of casting replacements Paul, but I need the original parts really as they'll have clear yellow paint over them and will show up a different colour to the rest of the kit parts. I don't want it to look stupid... :rolleyes:

I'll see what I can find on Sunday at the show. If not, I've got something even MORE blasphemous I could do to a Canberra in mind. :evil_laugh:

Cheers,

Dean

Edit: I'll be there Tony...can you save this project?

I think so. We had an auction at model club a few years ago and I won one part built. If it's any good to you you're welcome to it.

Tony :clif:

Here's a novel idea, why not scratch build some engine front fod guards? :whistle:

...or buy some from Two Mikes Resin to save yourself the work ;) You would need to make the bullets still though... although I may have a mould of and engine face when I screwed one up making the master for the FOD. Might be able to cast you a couple up?