Tamiya Mitsubishi A6M5c Zero

timmah

Hi all

Here is my intended build for the World Naval Forces Group Build.

P1030123.jpg

It will be built OOB but with additions of Eduard seatbelts and a bit of scratchbuilding

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Lots of progress today.......

Cockpit painted, dry brushed, decals applied and seat belts fitted

DSC00005.jpg

Fuselage assembled, wings together

DSC00006.jpg

Main part of assembly finished, never done one so quick!

DSC00007.jpg

As usual for my experience of Tamiya kits (although I do have an Shar FRS1 in the stash) it went together very well and will need no filler at all. I think the hardest bit to come will be masking up the canopy!

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Is that tan looking color right for the interior? I thought it was a more greenish, sage looking hue, something like the Brit interior color.

And what about that 'aotake' business... how does that fit in?

Great looking progress Tim. Tell me is that the older Tamiya Zero or the new one from last year?

I think it's the old one, it's quite basic but the fit is excellent, I have no idea how accurate it is but it I presume there must be issues with it else why produce a new kit?

Is that tan looking color right for the interior? I thought it was a more greenish, sage looking hue, something like the Brit interior color.

And what about that 'aotake' business... how does that fit in?

The interior has been painted with enamels mixed using the colour charts on IPMS Stockholm's website, it's definitely greenish, I think the flash has brought out the tan more than it is in the flesh.

Picture without flash taken with my newer camera

P1110114.jpg

Picture of interior pulled off the internet a while ago (can't remember where so my apologies to contributer)

256906_f260.jpg

If you compare this photo with the others on the internet, I think it's pretty close, what do you think?

The 'Aotake' I believe was used on the exterior airframe and wheel wells etc, it's a bright greenish blueish metallic colour.

Thanks

Tim.

Id say your cockpit color is pretty close.

Good enough for me. Stunning work time, I hope I can do the 1/32 kits the same justice when I get round to doing mine.

Dave

A little bit of progress....

All seams sorted and primer applied, a little work was required after but not much.

P1120115.jpg

Silver coat applied to enable a worn look when finished, will leave a couple of days to fully harden.

P1150116.jpg

Would others apply a clear coat over this before painting the top coat?

Thanks

Tim.

Would others apply a clear coat over this before painting the top coat?

Thanks

Tim.

I don't know about others, but I wouldn't. I'd probably use the "salt chipping" method to simulate wear. Or very thin rubber cement or Maskoid applied with a tiny brush. None of that is invasive or destructive and I'd think a well cured NMF would hold up to it.

I WOULD wear white cotton lab gloves when handling it, though. Just a thought.

More progress.......

Pre shaded the undersides

DSC00002.jpg

Bottom painted and bits of paint pulled off using tape to simulate chipping and wear.

DSC00003.jpg

The chipping can be seen a bit clearer when I stop the flash going off.

DSC00004.jpg

Leaving the underside to harden, I may gloss coat this layer as I tried to test mask a part and the paint came off even more so hopefully the gloss coat may prevent this(?)

Now waiting for the canopy masks, still got plenty of other bits to do though.....

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Edited by timmah

• 3 weeks later...

More progress...........

Got the top colour on.

The aircraft I'm modelling seems to have been transfered from another unit as the references I have show it to have old markings under the current one, I wanted to show this on the model so I printed out the code onto thin card. I cut out the old markings using a sharp knife.

P2080152.jpg

Stencil attached to the tailfin, I misted some colour through it to represent the worn out markings

P2080154.jpg

Model with top colour and worn tail markings

P2080155.jpg

A clear gloss coat has now been applied to protect it all.

I checked the picture I have as reference only to find that I have the worn codes in the wrong colour :banghead: They should have been white, oh well a quick rummage in the bin found the remains of the stencils and I'll sort that out another day

Thanks for looking

Tim.

More progress..........

Faded codes repainted the correct colour and main decals applied. The decals were then "chipped" to get a well worn look.

P2140141.jpg

P2140142.jpg

More to follow

Thanks

Tim.