Saunders Roe Salmon update

John

Back story and Group Build thread here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234927334&hl=salmon

I missed the end of the GB by deciding on a full repaint with 24 hours to go! However I've been enjoying the build so the best thing to do seems to be to finish it here.

I've done a further repaint as I wasn't happy with the effect of Humbrol 113 for Dark Red Sand - it was too light and didn't give enough contrast with the 29 Dark Earth. Browsing the Humbrol acrylic stand today I decided to try Humbrol 403 Crimson Lake instead, and so far the effect seems to be nearer what I'm looking for. Ill no doubt get a better idea when everything has dried.

John

Thanks.

This is the most recent repaint:

Salmon8_zpsbc049452.jpg

I'm much happier with this. The underside has been given a coat of Humbrol 47 Sea Blue, which has come out as a nice strong sky blue. I think these are the shades I'll be sticking with.

John

• 2 weeks later...
I've got one of those somewhere. IIRC I was going to do it in Skua pre war markings - overall silver-grey with the blue/red/blue band. Must remember to dig it out.

Nice work so far.

It does look a bit like an over-inflated Skua! Anyway, more progress.

After discussion on the Tropical schemes thread, the model has had another repaint - I'm surprised you can still see the wing corrugations! Xtracrylic Dark Earth and RLM 61 for the Dark Red Sand:

Salmon9_zpsee9e5036.jpg

There's some touching up to be done but you can see the effect. You can also see how well the new Humbrol Decalcote has dealt with the roundels and campaign bands.

Salmon10_zps66e48074.jpg

Salmon11_zps07543a13.jpg

Undersides are finished in Revell Aqua 56 Blue which comes out close to Deep Sky. The lower wings will get A1 roundels:

Salmon12_zps765e83ba.jpg

Getting there! It still needs a bit of tidying up and weathering. The finished model will represent a Salmon MkIII of 45 Squadron during the Syrian campaign in June 1941.

John

• 8 months later...

A mere 10 months after my last post, I'm finally trying to get back to this model.

having repainted it so many times you could barely make out the corrugations on the wings, I decided a fresh start was in order so off to the stash to find another Devastator:

Salmon14_zps9519d394.jpg

I've started off by painting the interior parts a 70/30 mix of Humbrol 78 and 129, which takes the colour a bit closer to the RAFM chip. Engine is 85 satin Black and the insides of the cowling and wings is 56 Aluminium. I've also painted the wheel hubs yellow this time as flight colours. We'll see how that goes though. Lastly, I've sourced a Vickers VGO from the old Airfix RAF Rescue Launch to replace my earlier scratchbuilt attempt - it looks a lot better.

John

• 5 months later...

"The recent discovery of some very rare colour photographs of the Salmon in the Nile Delta in the Summer of 1940 has prompted a return to this project.

It has previously been believed that all Salmon MkIIIs deployed to Egypt were finished in the Tropical scheme of Dark Sand and Dark Red Sand over aluminium, with the undersurfaces repainted in a locally procured light blue. However with the discovery of 3 colour prints misfiled in a Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food folder, containing documents on fish farming, at Kew seems to show that at least some of their aircraft were finished in a disruptive scheme of Dark and Light Mediterranean Blue. Unfortunately the undersurface colour is impossible to discern. Current thinking seems to be that the aircraft were repainted after the outbreak of war with Italy, when anti-submarine patrols around the Nile Delta were stepped up.

The undersurface shade is a matter of some debate. While too early for the official arrival of Azure Blue, it may be that these aircraft kept their locally applied bright blue colour. Alternatively they may have been repainted in Sky Blue, a ubiquitous shade apparently used by the RAF for everything from the painting of toilet cubicle doors to the underside of the ultra-high-flying Short Stirling XIII.

For the purposes of this model, Sky Blue will be used."

• Like 2